cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How hard can it be to get a fault sorted?

Bud
Grafter

How hard can it be to get a fault sorted?

A week ago I suffered a resync overnight resulting in a sync of 832 up and 633 down and causing pings in excess of 400.  I tried a reboot of the router which resynced at around 5.9M but still was suffering high pings and 75% packet loss, but another reboot got the sync speed up to 6522 and semi reasonable pings.  I left it till lunch time and it was still performing the same so took my spare router and tried it in the master socket which would only sync at 6330 which I gather is below the fault threshold for the line so called up support.
Person I spoke too said my download speeds was being limited by the exchange due to a lot of drop outs on the line, but the only drop outs he could tell me was when I rebooted my router and when I connected to the master socket, not the event that had caused the poor sync speed originally, and that it would sort itself out and I shouldn't have rebooted the router - despite it being what you get told to do whilst on hold for faults!
Put everything back in place and the sync went up to 6606, and even 7202 in an evening but it still wouldn't sync any higher and the SNR was showing a figure of 17 so I thought I would go through the fault checker.
After a couple of days I called for an update and was told that it would be a minimum of 72 hours before there would even be any form of response for a fault ticket, but on pushing the agent he looked at the previous call ticket and was then also fixated on download speeds and not the actual issue of the high snr and slow sync speeds but eventually said he would get BT to reset the line which would be completed in 24 hours.  72 hours later the line still has a high snr of 16 and still wont sync to the normal line speed of 8128 which has got me wondering if its like the home phone features 24 hours where you mean 3 working days or should it be in fact 24 hours?
Pinged the ticket back to support but not holding my breath at getting this sorted any time soon...
20 REPLIES 20
Innovations
Grafter

Re: How hard can it be to get a fault sorted?

I think the Plus boys are on holiday. All you can hear is an eerie whistling noise and some tumbleweed rolling by.
And stop whingeing - I'm stuck on 250kbs.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Bud,
I've just taken a look and can't see an obvious reason for that, I'll leave that for our faults guys to investigate next.
@Innovations, FYI you've had a reply to your thread here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114228.0/topicseen.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bud
Grafter

They have performed a manual set to an SNR of 12 which has got the sync speed up slightly but not quite the full speed it was prior to the blip and the pings have increased from 31 to 49/50.
The response to the ticket didn't give any indication as to what the cause and issue was.
Bud
Grafter

And done the reboot of the router that was requested by support and the SNR has gone up to 13 and sync speed dropped again 😞
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Bud,
Our faults team will again pick this up, at the moment they are monitoring the stability of your connection and will check to see why your sync speed has dropped.
We'll keep you updated on your ticket.
Bud
Grafter

So the line is apparently fine despite the SNR creeping up again and still getting high pings and packet loss occasionally,
10 days to get this far....
Roll on to when I can cancel now, since moving to the unlimited product the service has got considerably worse 😕
IB00
Dabbler

With any contract you have a 7 day waver, unless stated longer.. 7 days to go.
jim:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

So the line is apparently fine despite the SNR creeping up again..

That's not what we're saying at all, sorry this is taking a while to resolve and we appreciate this might be frustrating but the ticket is back with the faults guys again so keep an eye out for another response and let us know if you have any issues with what's been suggested.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bud
Grafter

Had a few more drops and the SNR has now gone back to 13 after dropping once again to 12.  I find it quite hard to believe that a line that has run flawless at the full speed that's available for 5 years can suddenly no longer support it and its acceptable.
72 hours plus since I sent the ticket back and no response suggests you aren't interested in helping resolve this and it looks like I will have to suffer a substandard service.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm sure the fact you've not had a reply yet isn't because of that. I'm sorry we've not got around to replying to your ticket again yet all the same, I'll do my best to get someone to reply ASAP.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Bud,
Would you be willing to try the connection with interleaving on for a short while to see if that helps? It's been off since the 14th March and according to the BT records we can see, that's when things started wavering connection wise. Just thought it might stabilise things, when it was on back then the line was in sync at 8128 with a 7150 profile.
Just a thought, but happy to see if it helps if you want to?
Bud
Grafter

I would be happy to see if it makes a difference, but the line had appeared stable till the 16th of April.  Since it came off pings have been 50% lower (27-30 instead of 58-60) and the line seemed rock solid with it with only a few outages which was AFAIK exchange issues as I know of several others who had disconnections and such at the same time as I was having errors.
Bud
Grafter

Something spectacularly wrong tonight!
C:\Windows\system32>ping bbc.co.uk
Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.251.195] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.251.195: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=119
Request timed out.
Reply from 212.58.251.195: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=119
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 212.58.251.195:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 29ms
C:\Windows\system32>tracert www.plus.net
Tracing route to portal.plus.net [212.159.8.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  10.0.10.10
  2    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  3    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  4    *      99 ms    *    xe-0-2-0.ptw-cr01.plus.net [212.159.1.16]
  5    *        *      30 ms  te9-4.ptn-gw01.plus.net [195.166.129.33]
  6    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  7    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  8    *      38 ms    43 ms  vlan2658.peh-elb02.plus.net [84.93.232.53]
  9    *        *      37 ms  portal.plus.net [212.159.8.2]
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm. The fault's been raised now so it might well be worth waiting to see how that goes before trying interleaving - still happy to place the order for it if you wish, but I think the fault will probably help more. Please let me know Smiley