cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the hardware affect line speeds?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: How does the hardware affect line speeds?

knowdice, that is pointless. We need his information, nothing else to confuse the situation. Given the little information to date his line ought to be capable of at least as good as the neighbours subject to resolving the internal wiring issues.
Bridgebuilder, I did say in the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph in reply #25 that wiring was the most probable cause.
Bridgebuilder, please read my previous post carefully and provide all the information requested so that we can help sort out your problem.
knowdice
Rising Star

No not pointless - will give you and anybody else who is interested a baseline to work with.
That's my last post on this subject...
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry knowdice, it is pointless. From both the linetest results provided by James Bailey and the partial stats from Bridgebuilders modem/router the line attenuation is 54.5dB. That is the baseline from which to work - nothing else. The fact that neighbours get 2.6M has merely highlighted the fact that a problem exists. A line of 54.5dB should be capable of as DS sync of around 3.5M giving a profile of 3M on 20CN assuming a problem free setup and minimal noise/interference and should therefore be capable of at least equalling the neighbours performance.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If the next door neighbours were getting 4 or 5Mb there would be a point in asking about their stats. But they are not. We know the line is performing below par so lets concentrate on sorting that without getting diverted by asking Bridgebuilder for stats from the neighbours which won't help in any way.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bridgebuilder

Reply #32 is the first response that has suggested that I should be able to equal my neighbours speed of 2.6. I now know of another pair of houses (connected to the same exchange line at the same time) where one has 0.7 and the other has 2.6. (incidentally the 0.7 is plugged into the master socket! )
In practical terms how can one check if the problem lies between the roadside box and the house? or indeed in the connections within the roadside box?
In fact if my line should be capable of 2.6 why do Plusnet tell me it is rated at 1 and that is that.
I am left with the suspicion that Plusnet know something they would rather not tell me.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Bridgebuilder
I am left with the suspicion that Plusnet know something they would rather not tell me.

Conspiracy or ignorance?  It's got to be the latter.  Everybody's speed estimates are bad estimates; often wildly wrong.  It's just bad data that goes into the calculation.
Your line may not be capable of 2.6 Mbps.  Your line has an attenuation of 54.5 dB and a good noise-free line with that attenuation should be capable of 2.6 Mbps.  But not everybody is blessed with such a line.  Just ask forum moderator Oldjim about that.
You have no means of telling where your problem lies if it is outside your house.  Even an Openreach engineer with all the latest test equipment would often struggle.

Anotherone
Champion

Sorry Reed, I don't agree. A competent engineer with the latest test equipment would be able to find the problem. Now whether he can get something done about it depends on the nature of the problem! For example, it it involves replacing a 200 pair cable and there is only one or two customers affected, well more than likely, no chance.
Yes, you are correct Reed, Bridgebuilder's line may not be capable of 2.6Mbps (being pedantic, as you have picked on this point). However, as we don't yet know why the line is under-performing, we don't know.
Bridgebuilder, speed estimates are also based on an element of line testing and it's quite possible that your line in it's present state (whatever that may be) won't perform better and as hinted by Reed, the the estimate will always be pessimistic in any case. The fact that one is plugged into a master socket means nothing if there are other sockets and wiring still connected to the circuit which are not of a compatible standard for optimum broadband performance.
Bridgebuilder, I'm not sure why you seem to think that the problem is external to your house. There is no evidence at this point to show the problem is not in your house. Will you please re-read my reply #23, answer the question in the first paragraph and advise whether you tried what I suggested after. Will you also re-read my reply #28 carefully and please reply in detail, I'm afraid your reply #26 was not clear or explicit enough.