cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you setup a Netgear DG834G with a a block of 8 static IP's

neilneilneil

How do you setup a Netgear DG834G with a a block of 8 static IP's

Folks
Can anyone advise me on a routing config that I’m struggling with. In essence I just want 2x public facing web servers on their own public IP’s
Plunet have allocated a block of 8 static public IP’s in  following pattern:
o  xxx.xxx.xxx.xx0 (gateway)
o  xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1 (router)
o  xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2 (spare)
o  xxx.xxx.xxx.xx3 (spare)
o  xxx.xxx.xxx.xx4 (spare)
o  xxx.xxx.xxx.xx5 (spare)
o  xxx.xxx.xxx.xx6 (spare)
o  xxx.xxx.xxx.xx7 (broadcast)
o  Net mask 255.255.255.248
Currently a Netgear DG834G is in set in NAT mode (there is an option to disable NAT on router) to local LAN using the following IP details:
o  IP                          xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1
o  Subnet                255.255.255.255
o  Gateway              195.166.128.123
Port forwarding is set up to a LAN IP address hosting a public web server, 192.168.0.2
I have another web server that is currently not pubic but need it public
Question is, can I use this router to route 2x static IP’s through to the 2x web servers so they are public facing?
If so
·        What would be the IP config on WAN port of router
·        What would be the IP config on LAN port of router
·        What would be IP config on web server 1
·        What would be IP config on web server 2
Any help would be appreciated as I have now poked around to no avail. I have switched of NAT mode on router, I have allocated IP's to servers, but don't know what default gateway to give them as I'm only used to LAN's not this kinda thing
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: How do you setup a Netgear DG834G with a a block of 8 static IP's

You can't use a DG834G for multiple IPs as it does not support that type of connection. I know as I have 8 IPs and could not get my DG834 to work and research on the net confirmed it will never work.
You need to buy another router that does support multiple IP blocks. I'm using an old Draytek Vigor 2600 plus but a 2800 also works but the more recent 2700 does not.
neilneilneil

Many thanks for that Peter, I did wander if the router was limiting me to 1x Public IP despite reading things on the net saying otherwise.
Looks like an ebay job then! You don't know of any other brands that have done routers of this nature in the past, before I start my big ebay hunt?
Thanks
Neil
jonathand
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
You can't use a DG834G for multiple IPs as it does not support that type of connection.

I'm sure I've had this working in the past.
If you turn off NAT, you can then change the internal IP setup with the details you've already got. Assign the router the right address, set DHCP to use the range of spare IPs you have and point your servers to the router's internal IP for DHCP assignment.
You can also set permanent connections based on the MAC addresses of your internal servers if I recall correctly, to save DHCP randomly changing it on you.
Alternatively, you should also be able to turn off DHCP and just bind the IPs to the servers manually. They'll be quite happy so long as they are using the 255.255.255.248 netmask and you specify the router's IP as the gateway address.
Sorry I can't give more specifics, I moved over to a Voyager 2110 a while back.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Never got it to work with NAT disabled either - there is something in the routing tables within the router which messes things up I think but never got to the bottom of it after getting the Vigor to work.
I found many forum posts around the time I was trying to get it to work trying to do the same thing and failing like me so no point trying I'm afraid.
neilneilneil

So today been investigating the draytec vigor options and it appears there is lots of praise for them all over the shop. Everyone all over the net seems to have had excellent experiences with their kit! I actually contacted Draytec support tech support today and after 20 seconds was talking to a technical person who was most hopeful in actually listening to my scenario and what I was doing.
"Nikita" was even quite helpful when i drilled down into the details of the changes between the vigor 2600, 2800, 2820 range and I discussed getting a 2600 from ebay!.
Anyway, based on your feedback Peter and everyone else on the net who commented on Dratec Kit, look like I'm set to get a 2600 2nd hand as I don't really need all the ADSL / ISDN /3G backup options that came with the new models (thats the message I got from Draytec today when discussing key feature updates etc)
Thanks again chaps!