cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you resolve a Bridged Tap?

rolya
Grafter

How do you resolve a Bridged Tap?

My in-laws have this condition on their line, but I have no idea how to resolve. Would like to get them on fibre, but this is blocking. Can anyone advise?

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: How do you resolve a Bridged Tap?

A bridge tap is usually caused by internal wiring. Do they have a test socket as explained below?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Anoush
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rolya
Grafter

No idea. Will have to take a look, it's an old tied cottage.

if I find one, I just do some tests? If it doesn't what then? 

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If it has a test socket, I'd recommend plugging the router into that and see if the bridge tap is still present.

We should be able to find out by testing your line so feel free to PM me their username once it's in the test socket.

If there is no test socket, it's a bit of a difficult situation. They could arrange for a third party, qualified engineer to take a look at their internal wiring, or risk an upgrade to fibre and if problems develop we can arrange an engineer visit.

The latter option would incur a callout charge of £65 if the issue turns out to be internal and the engineer may provide an updated master socket with a test socket.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

If you can post a few pictures of the main socket it will give us few clues to help you.

E.g. A picture of the socket and a picture of the wiring if you open the socket.  plus any details of junction boxes present.  Some of these older installations can be a pain!  Check if there are any extensions - and whether they are still needed / used?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@rolya wrote:

My in-laws have this condition on their line, but I have no idea how to resolve. Would like to get them on fibre, but this is blocking. Can anyone advise?

I thought that the Bridge Tap status only shows up if they're already on FTTC? What's telling you that there is a Bridged Tap? They could still get FTTC anyway, the speed would just be a bit slower.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I thought that the Bridge Tap status only shows up if they're already on FTTC?

That's a good point.

What's telling you that there is a Bridged Tap?

That'll be interesting to know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

http://dslchecker.bt.com/ shows it at the bottom

bridgetap.PNG

How accurate that is is anybody's guess.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, but I think it just shows as U for Unknown on ADSL lines.

rolya
Grafter

Yes it was this site

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Seems now it what's reverted to a U status.

thank you for confirming that even if there is a Bridged tap, the line would still work if flipped to fibre

I will keep you posted on how this pans out, including the line checks when I get there in the next week or so

cheers all 🙂