cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set the IP address of my network printer on the router?

vinny36

How do I set the IP address of my network printer on the router?

Hi folks.
I have a Canon LBP5360 connected to my Plusnet technicolor router. Each time I turn it on and try to print, the IP address assigned by the router changes. I have to repeatedly go into printer properties to change it to the new IP address.
How can I set the address in the router so it stays the same?
15 REPLIES 15
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: How do I set the IP address of my network printer on the router?

You cannot [Edit] I knew I should not have said something cannot be done, so let me rephrase that.
This technique will work with any router, whether or not it allows you to assign a fixed IP address to a particular device.  You have to change the printer settings to use a fixed IP address and change the range of dynamically assigned IP addresses on the router.
For example, I have a Netgear router with IP address 192.168.0.1.  By default it assigns IP addresses to attached devices starting from 192.168.0.2 but I changed the default to make the starting point 192.168.0.20 and changed my printer settings (on the printer) to a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.10 .  That avoids any possibility of a clash.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Well it's pretty straightforward to set my Netgear router to have it assign specific IP addresses to specific devices. I don't have one of the Technicolor routers but I would be very surprised if it wasn't possible.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

DHCP on the Technicolor router will be assigning IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.64-253 . So if you set a fixed IP of (say) 192.168.1.20 in the printer control panel a clash with DHCP assigned addresses is avoided and the printer should retain that IP.
There should be no need to change the router DHCP range.
David
vinny36

Thanks folks. I finally got around to trying your suggestions. Unfortuantely, the router continues to change the IP address at will, despite setting the IP address of the printer. I followed your suggestion and set to an IP address ending .20
The router will give the printer an IP address of anything ending .85 or over. Currently 192.168.1.99 !!
Any ideas?
Many thanks.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: vinny36
How can I set the address in the router so it stays the same?

You don't.
You set the IP address in the printer so that it doesn't change, and don't use DHCP.
Any sensible network printer should have this as it's primary method of configuration, certainly one of the main options.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks folks. I finally got around to trying your suggestions. Unfortuantely, the router continues to change the IP address at will, despite setting the IP address of the printer.
Many thanks.

Well it shouldnt be Crazy
If you have entered the Address into the printer, the printer should always use that address, no matter what the router does.  reading the manual, are you doing a hard reset to save the settings, after you change them?Huh
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, the router only assigns an IP address to the printer if the printer asks it for one.  If you successfully set the printer to use a fixed IP address then it won;t ask the router for a different one!
vinny36

Yup, I followed the manual and was instructed to perform a hard reset.
When the printer was ready, I checked the IP address and it was still at the one I specified. However, the router gave it the address ending .99
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

1 Press [Settings], select INTERFACE MENU using [ ] and [ ],
then press [Enter]/[OK].
NOTE
You can prepare the protocol settings when the printer is either online (the Online
indicator is on) or offline (the Online indicator is off).
2 Select NETWORK MENU using [ ] and [ ], then press
[Enter]/[OK].
3 Select TCP/IP SETTINGS using [ ] and [ ], then press
[Enter]/[OK].
4 Select the method for setting the IP address.
❑ Select IP MODE using [ ] and [ ], then press [Enter]/[OK].

If you selected MANUAL in Step 4

Select IP SETTINGS using [ ] and [ ], press [Enter]/[OK], and then specify
the settings for IP ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK, and GATEWAY ADDRESS.
NOTE
Specify the settings for IP ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK, and GATEWAY ADDRESS
using the following procedure.
Select the target field using [ ] and [ ].
Select the target value using [ ] and [ ].
Repeat Step 1 to 2 for all the fields.
Press [Enter]/[OK].
Cycle the power of the printer or perform a hard reset.
IMPORTANT
The settings become effective after cycling the power of the printer or performing a
hard reset. For details on a hard reset, see "User's Guide" (PDF manual).

From memory:
IP address: 192.168.1.20 (for example)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I checked the IP address and it was still at the one I specified. However, the router gave it the address ending .99

That makes no sense, it can't have 2 IP addresses. Where are you getting that conflicting information from?
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I agree, where is this .99 address coming from?. Can you do a screengrab of where you are seeing this .99 address.
vinny36

Thanks Reed. Those settings were already being used.
However, Ive found a setting to configure the router to 'Always use the same IP address' for each attached device. Just needed to click 'configure' in top right corner of the screen for the device and click the check box.
The IP address (currently ending .99) is being given by the router. Its under the Technicolor router settings. Home>Home Network>Devices>[PRINTER/DEVICE]...under 'Addressing' section.
Thanks guys for your time.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I don't have a Technicolor router myself but I fear you maybe be being too ambitious with the settings.  I know early on you were advised to get the router to assign a specific address to the printer but you don't need to do that AND set a fixed IP address on the printer,  You need to do that OR set a fixed IP address on the printer.  And if you do do both then for heavens sake make sure they both set the same IP address.   
vinny36

Oh no, I hadn't tried both. The router would show me an IP address for the printer (currently ending .99) but the printer itself , in Printer Properties in Windows, would have something different.  As I say, setting the printers IP manually would make no difference to the router - it would pick a different IP address each time I turned the equipent on.  I don't get it...maybe there's a Gremlin tinkering with the circuits! 🙂