cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I go about ordering a new router?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

How do I go about ordering a new router?

Hi all
It seems I need a new one. The current one seems to have power problems. I think it could be the on/off button itself. You have to press it a bit harder than usual for the router to power on.
I spoke to an advisor via live chat and they said they could send one out free of charge (well, £6.99 to cover p&p) as long as I renew my contract with PN.
I just want to know if this is true and how would I go about ordering another one. Also, will it be the same one I've got now (the Technicolor 582n) or a newer model?
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: How do I go about ordering a new router?

Hi,
If you contact our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 they can renew your contract for you and get one sent out, you would get the latest model we have for the connection type you are on.
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Thanks Darkfire.
And re. the contract; I only renewed it in July or August I think. This was when I took out Home Phone on top of the broadband. Will my current contract be affected in any way if I take another one? - since I'm getting a particular discount every month?
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Your best bet is to buy one.....search amazon for adsl router ....or another online site......from £20
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

If you recontract we'd cancel the old one, the discounts change throughout the year though so you may end up on a better deal, but there's many things we can do about that to suit your needs, once done we can get a router out immediately
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Generaly you would be better off buying your own router.
The power button should only be used sparingly, as the router should be left on and powered up. If you are turning it off at night or on and off frequently it can cause problems for your connection
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@cagney1994
Plusnet's current offering, the 2704n modem/router, has a poor router section (due to poor firmware). The ADSL side is excellent - it uses one of the latest broadcom chipsets. If you have anything other than a straight forward home network, ie a computer or two connected by ethernet and/or that and tablets or smart phones connected by wireless, then you may encounter problems - eg. if you want port forwarding or wireless connections to things like Sky on demand, or 3's Home signal etc., then you may encounter the difficulties that some others have had. In those circumstances you might be best to take the advice already given, and buy your own modem/router.