cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the stats from my router?

Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Re: How do I get the stats from my router?

An engineer in another forum confirmed that Openreach have stated any modem can be used with any DSLAM so engineers can use whatever stock they have in their vans.
However, I have monitored a few long distance connections from ECI DSLAMS (1600m or longer).
These connections were initially supplied with an ECI modem & monitoring was conducted using an unlocked Huawei HG612 modem.
Although speeds weren't great, quite often the connections were on fastpath when the HG612 was first connected.
Invariably, downstream interleaving was applied at fairly low depths (300 or lower) following a few days of the HG612 being connected.
This obviously reduced sync speeds & thus BT's IP Profile.
Once monitoring over a couple of weeks or so was completed, the ECI modem was reconnected.
A few days later, IP Profile increased back to where it was prior to the monitoring exercise.
So yes, a HG612 connection can be used with an ECI DSLAM, but the ECI does seem better suited to longer connections.
Unfortunately, as we can't yet reliably obtain stats in the same format from an unlocked ECI modem, we don't have a like for like comparison.
It is also rumoured (but not factually confirmed as far as I am aware) that an ECI modem also works at higher speeds than the HG612 when connected to a Huawei DSLAM on a longish length connection.
PLan
Grafter

Is the ECI V-2FUb/r Rev.B a bit of a dead end for hacking in comparison to the HG612 or do you think it's worth getting a spare one to play with?
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@PLan
Always get a spare to play with. Do not try unlocking your BT supplied modem, if you brick it or something goes wrong, you have a fault and Openreach need to attend, they will know it's been tampered with and you could end up with a large bill from Openreach. Remember the official demarcation point is the socket on the modem where you plug in the Router. If you get your own to experiment with, if you have any problems you can put your official supplied modem back before OR attend.
@JamieDanjoux
Please be careful how you phrase things, don't give the impression that it's OK to unlock the BT supplied modem. As was said earlier in the thread, get a spare of eBay or wherever to play with. Unwitting users may make a mess of things without realising.
x47c
Grafter

Coincidentally here is the latest thoughts on pairing up of modems/dslams from the kitz forum
One of the posters there works for BTOR.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12437.msg234550#msg234550
It may be that BT are actually monitoring the performance of each router in service under the real life conditions customers have in real time and have now come to the conclusion that there is "not much between them". 
I'm sure that BT have the detailed lab tests on each one - not that they would release them
That said one or other may perform slightly better on certain line lengths - in much the same way as different ADSL routers seem more suited to certain line lengths.
But again, outside those with a tech' interest in these things - would the masses of the population notice or would they care - no, not really.
The interesting legal point with these HG612's locked or already unlocked by others on ebay is exactly where are they coming from?
So far as I'm aware BT are not selling them off the shelf to customers and so far as I'm aware there is no contract that the modem ever becomes the property of the owner after a fixed time/end of contract whatever?
So if they have the BTOR logo on them then either they are stolen stock from BT or people are selling the modem supplied to them by BT with their fibre connection - which are not their to sell. So those buying them are guilty of receiving stolen goods.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The possibility of your last point did cross my mind. What individuals choose to do is at their own risk of course. I have previously done brief searches but not yet found any legit retail sources for purchasing the HG612, so if anyone knows, I'm sure there will be some interest.
thomasjc1
Grafter

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
It's all down to your cab if its a Huawei cab then you have to use a 612 modem if its an ECI Cab you have to use the ECI modem.

My friend snadge asked the question on kitz
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12437.msg234550.html#msg234550