cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the stats from my router?

meyre68
Grafter

How do I get the stats from my router?

I have the modem fitted to the wall by the openreach engineer (not sure of the make/model & its white  Crazy ) and a Technicolor TG582n FTTC.
When I click the broadband tab it shows me WAN Connection and Internet. If I click on Internet and details it doesn't show me any speeds or s/n etc.
How can I get those details?
Also will setting my profile to fastpath or having interleaving on give me any more speed?
Finally is the £5 for static IP a one off or monthly charge?
Thanks  Smiley
21 REPLIES 21
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How do I get the stats from my router?

Hey there,
With the FTTC system, the stats aren't available as they'd be on the BT Openreach modem.
With FTTC, Fastpath/Interleaving isn't required.
The static IP address is a one off £5 charge.
Regards,
Matt
leader
Grafter

Hi
Those BT Openreach modems are heavy  locked down.
Easy option is to get an "unlocked H612 or ECI" modem off ebay.  (Don't be tempted to mess with your BT installed modem always use a spare Wink
Fellow member Bald_Eagle1 gives a great overview on the potential of an unlocked HG612 here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112858.0.html
meyre68
Grafter

OK ty both for the replies  Cool
I'll order my static IP next week. I'm fed up of Guild Wars 2 saying unauthorised access every time my IP changes  Roll_eyes
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Mattz0r

With the FTTC system, the stats aren't available as they'd be on the BT Openreach modem.
With FTTC, Fastpath/Interleaving isn't required.

Does that mean that we can now actually request interleaving to be disabled? i.e. return to fastpath.
I have a sub-40Mb connection & when DLM is reset it can achieve up to 35Mb sync speeds on fastpath, with actual throughput at around 32Mb - 33Mb.
When DLM automatically applies Interleaving at a typical depth of around 400 - 500, sync speeds reduce to around 26Mb - 27Mb & throughput reduces to around 24Mb.
i.e. everything feels much slower.
Impulse Noise Protection & delay are also applied at various levels when Interleaving kicks in, increasing Ping times etc..
e.g.

DS US
INP: 3.00 0.00
delay: 8.00 0.00
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have unlocked 2 bt open reach modems using this guide and software
It works! Just make sure that the last 2 digits are either 12 or 10 then select the correct firmware as the modem will no longer be useable if you select wrong firmware!
BTW unlocking was fairly easy it took 10 mins to do. Especially you can retrieve settings and stats from the modem! Also the UPLOAD speed is faster because its unlocked and you will see a difference in ping as well!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quote from: Bald_Eagle1
Does that mean that we can now actually request interleaving to be disabled? i.e. return to fastpath.

Interleaving is "Not-applicable" it doesn't exist on Fibre connections.
Regards,
Matt
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Mattz0r

Interleaving is "Not-applicable" it doesn't exist on Fibre connections.

Hmmm.
Here's a snippet from Plusnet ticket #44208926, just one of a number of tickets from the 11 months of problems on my line before a BTOR engineer finally found & fixed the fault at the pole top mounted DP:-

11:23am, Friday 29 Jul 2011
+Internal+
Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1604
Description Circuit performance appears unstable due to excessive daily line retrains. Confirm that End User is not disconnecting or powering down modem unnecessarily before continuing submitting trouble report
Main Fault Location DT
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 12.857 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.79800004 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
Profile Name 13.7M-27.4M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-0.8M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp 2011-07-28T12:44:35

This seems to be the relevant result:-
Profile Name 13.7M-27.4M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-0.8M Upstream, Interleaving On
From my unlocked HG612 modem, I can also see that Interleaving is currently at a depth of 509 (DS) & 1 (US)
I presume that 509 = LOW & 1 = OFF (in Plusnet terminology).
I wonder if you could please run the test again on my connection & confirm one way or the other?
It may well be helpful to know for when other users/Plusnet agents try advising users.

During the problematic 11 months, I saw DS Interleaving as high as 1700.
I presume (but may be wrong) that such a depth would be classed by Plusnet's tests as HIGH?

EDIT:
FWIW, I can also confirm that my connection's downstream sync speed is currently 26003Kbps. & upstream is 5844Kbps

EDIT2:
Following a resync DS sync speed is now 26712 Kbps & US 5792 Kbps, with Interleaving depths now reported as 523 & 1 respectively (DS Interleaving depth always seems to increase/decrease when sync speeds increase/decrease)
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Hello Bald_Eagle1,
I apologise for the information that I've provided previously, I was under the impression that "Not Applicable" meant that it wasn't available on the line, I have since been educated that it is on the line, but we have no facility to be able to make amendments to this.
I believe this is because all of this is controlled at the cabinet, rather than the exchange and would most likely require engineer visits to the cabinet to put these in place.
Just thought I'd post this and clear the confusion,
Regards,
Matt
Finguz
Grafter

Delete me please  Smiley
PLan
Grafter

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
I have unlocked 2 bt open reach modems using this guide and software

Does it matter if you replace an ECI modem with a HG612? I assume the modem is meant to compliment the equipment in the broadband cabinet?  Huh
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

It's all down to your cab if its a Huawei cab then you have to use a 612 modem if its an ECI Cab you have to use the ECI modem.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

why
thomasjc1
Grafter

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
It's all down to your cab if its a Huawei cab then you have to use a 612 modem if its an ECI Cab you have to use the ECI modem.

Thats not correct
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Well thats what the engineer told me??? Can someone then correct me?
J