cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my target noise margin reduced?

JEB
Grafter

Hi

If I sync my line during the day it will connect at about 3200 at 15db, and will be rock solid within about 2 or 3 db until the noise margin suddenly falls to zero, and the router reconnects at about 1900.  I did report this as a fault at the start of the year and BT did come out more then once but couldn't improve anything, I think that during this process the target margin must have been increased, because from memory my router would always connect at 6db.  I'm assuming there is something causing a lot of external noise at certain times of the day.
I have been monitoring my connection using routerstats and given the line is very stable at 1900 at 15db, and the fact how the line used to perform, I know it would be stable at a lower target margin.  However I don't know how to get BT to make the necessary changes.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

James
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How do I get my target noise margin reduced?

With that sort of drop in noise margin it is very unlikely that BT will allow the change. Even if they did it would probably go straight back up again.
You need to find out what is causing the drop.
Can you monitor the noise margin dynamically and see if you can trace the cause. If it always happens at the same time there must be something starting which is causing it.
If it is relatively random but still in the evening I would try connecting to the socket behind the master socket faceplate so as to remove your wiring from the equation and more to the point isolate any extensions with a bell wire.
If you look behind the master socket is there only one pair of wires coming in and are there any other wires going out which are not via the removable faceplate
JEB
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
I have already tried the test socket on the master socket, seeing if it something internal by turning things on and off etc without any luck.  It must be some external noise issue.
The line is very stable at 1900 @ 15db so I don't think reducing the target margin would cause a problem.  I thought BT's systems would only raise the target margin if there was a certain number of resync events per hour.  At most there would be 1 resync a day, and if I left the router on 24/7 there wouldn't even be this.

James
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you have one of the following routers:
Speedport 500V/W500V, Siemens SL2-141-I/SLI-5300-I/CL-110-I, Speedtouch 716g, Belkin 7633, T-Sinus 1054 DSL, BT Voyager 2091/2100/2110, BT Voyager 240, Linksys WAG54GS, US Robotics 9107/9108, Netgear DG834GT/DG834NB/DG834PNB, Hitachi AH4222, BCM 6338/6348/6358
See http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/voyager2100_DMT.htm
This might give you more information on your problem.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

puddy
Grafter

you could fit  BT i socket to see if that helps ask plusnet to send you one if all else fails

puddy
JEB
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
If you have one of the following routers:
Speedport 500V/W500V, Siemens SL2-141-I/SLI-5300-I/CL-110-I, Speedtouch 716g, Belkin 7633, T-Sinus 1054 DSL, BT Voyager 2091/2100/2110, BT Voyager 240, Linksys WAG54GS, US Robotics 9107/9108, Netgear DG834GT/DG834NB/DG834PNB, Hitachi AH4222, BCM 6338/6348/6358
See http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/voyager2100_DMT.htm
This might give you more information on your problem.

Unfortuntely I don't have one of those routers, so can't fix the target noise margin.
If I raise a ticket will Plusnet be able to get the target noise margin reduced?

James
Laser
Grafter

You say you've been monitoring using routerstats. Does this show the fall to zero margin and the re-sync? Can you determine from this when/what coincides with that problem? If the margin is 15dB before the re-sync, what is the margin afterwards?
There is no point in getting your target changed if you are suffering any kind of drops or re-syncs at all.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@JEB
The line is very stable at 1900 @ 15db so I don't think reducing the target margin would cause a problem

I don't think you fully understand how maxDSL works. You must have some sort of intermittent problem, and you need to determine whether is is internal or external, your "tests* to date do not confirm that to any degree of confidence. Without the cause being known and fixed, it will be pointless lowering the Target SNRM.
You haven't commented as to whether you have any extension wiring. What router are you using? Do you normally leave it on 24/7, if not what time do you usually switch it on? Can you post some current ADSL Line Stats (DS & US) - sync rate, attenuation, and Noise Margin (SNRM).
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Axis
Now that DMT is running

However Gel is not JEB, so maybe it isn't.
I confess to getting confused and not realising I wasn't answering the OP (JEB).
So @JEB - what router do you have?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post All extraneous posts split off mod:end