cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fix.

redbull2k14
Grafter

How do I fix.

All games I join on COD Ghosts I am suffering with lag. How can I diagnose where the problem lies?
My set up is as follows. BTO Modem>PN Router>Sam-Knows White Box> PS3.
I have the ports forwarded, set the PN Router into game mode also set PS3 into DMZ assigned the PS3 static IP. UPnP is turned on.
I have Wireshark I can capture the packets.
any help?
17 REPLIES 17
sully72
Grafter

Re: How do I fix.

disable upnp in the router and in the ps3....
redbull2k14
Grafter

I will give that ago and let you know how it goes.
redbull2k14
Grafter

I have discovered that my PN Router is faulty. I connected my PS3 to the WAN of the BTO Modem. My problems have gone. How do i go about getting a new Router off PN?
wo0x
Grafter

Quote from: redbull2k14
How do i go about getting a new Router off PN?

I think they'll send you one if you pay £5.99 delivery, you can raise a ticket to request that. I also believe it will tie you in to a 12 month contract. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong on any (or all) of that.
I would, however, recommend buying your own... Routers supplied by ISPs are junk in my experience.
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

BTO Modem>PN Router>Sam-Knows White Box> PS3

There are reports of the Sam Knows box causing issues...people seem to be removing them to take them out of the equation.
Ian
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you've got the ports forwarded, you don't need the DMZ really. Can you try putting the router back to to factory defaults and trying to game without making any changes to it?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
redbull2k14
Grafter

I will give that a go.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: ian007jen
<snip>
There are reports of the Sam Knows box causing issues...people seem to be removing them to take them out of the equation.
Ian

Have you got a link please Wink
redbull2k14
Grafter

Before I connected directly to BTO Modem, i bypassed the SamKnows and connected to the PN Router same result.
redbull2k14
Grafter

As instructed, reset PN Router changed no settings. Game play is still full of lag however it worked in my favor. Next test I changed a setting in PN Router and enabled game mode. Played some games, no change to game play. Backed out of lobby and noticed NAT type as STRICT. not sure why this has happened.
Here is a snippet of my event logs
these two were at 21:03 and 21:04
FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: ************ Dst ip: ********* Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication with Destination Host is Administratively Prohibited
FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 17): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: ************ Dst ip: ********* Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication with Destination Host is Administratively Prohibited
these two were at 00:15 and 00:24
FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: ************ Dst ip: ********* Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication with Destination Host is Administratively Prohibited
FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 10): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: ************ Dst ip: ********* Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication with Destination Host is Administratively Prohibited
what next?
redbull2k14
Grafter

I have had another go today. Before playing a game it tells me my NAT is STRICT, so i quit the game and check my network settings on the PS3, then test my settings, reports back that NAT type 2 and UPnP is available. I decide to load the game up and play a game it feels like before only this time the game reports STRICT.
So this is what im thinking even if i forward all the ports or put it in DMZ im always going to get the same result using this PN supplied router.
I reported a few week back that there was a power cut in my area. I believe this is the cause, maybe the manufactures need to look into the router when there is sudden power loss and comes right back on all with in 1 second which is what happened to me.
Are there any further test i can do to prove or disprove?
redbull2k14
Grafter

just turned UPnP off in router and run network test on PS3 and said UPnP unavailable, loaded up my game and tells me my NAT is OPEN. I did not expect to see that, so i look in my event logs and see this
IDS fragment parser : fragment sweep (1 of 1) : 198.107.*.15* 212.*.66.* 680 45 UDP frag 50563:660@1480 not sure what that is all about maybe someone could enlighten me.
Now im going to play a game see what game play is like.
redbull2k14
Grafter

can I have a new router sent to me please, the one i got is broken.
ghos7em1
Grafter

if you are using the tg582n telnet into it and disable ids and firewall. telnet way is the only way to fully disable firewall.dont use upnp and dmz together.if you still lag open port 3075 for ghosts