Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I check my IP profile?

Jessica
Grafter

The reason I’m asking is that I am now synced at 8128 and have been for the past week.  I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference in download speed.  I was synced at 7616 and had an IP profile of 6500.  I just want to check.
There use to be a button somewhere that gave you the IP profile.
Can any one direct me?

19 REPLIES 19
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: How do I check my IP profile?

Your profile looks OK to me, Crazy but what the heck look here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed, it probably 7150 giving a download speed of about 6500
Zap
Grafter

Hi J
This is a good link to help you check such things
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
Sounds about right, I get about the same on my exchange and have a similar level.
If you want to get more speed there is always 21CN
Check here to see plans for it in your exchange, use exchange search on left menu:
http://www.samknows.com/
Jessica
Grafter

I’m not complaining (not this time for once), but I thought my download speed would increase.  When I was synced 7616 my IP Profile was 6500.  Now I’m synced at 8128 and my IP profile has just increased to 7150 (took it long enough), my download speeds are exactly the same.  Odd isn't it...
My local exchange has no plans for anything other than DSL Max.  If I want faster, I’ll have to move house.
Cheers.
zubel
Community Veteran

Hi Jessica,
Are you using Windows XP?  If so it might be worthwhile tweaking your RWIN
Doesn't apply if you are on Vista / Win7
Cheers
B.
grahamt
Rising Star

I think you need to resync after the IP profile has changed to take advantage of the new profile (I've never quite understood why, but that's what knowledgeable people have said in another thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). However, if you do that you take the risk that you might resync at a lower speed and your profile will drop (and it drops much faster than it comes back up again after you sync at a higher speed).
So if you're confident that your line conditions are good, you could try forcing a resync on a nice, sunny day. But it's at your own risk, and you may find that your real throughput doesn't rise very much anyway.
Graham
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You might need to disconnect from Plusnet, then reconnect to pick up the revised service profile that goes with the increased line-speed profile. If you are using a Thomson TG585v7 router there is no need to restart the router/re-sync to do this.
Go to the router GUI page, and click Broadband Connection on the left-hand menu. (link).
Click the Disconnect button over to the right.
That disconnects you from Plusnet but doesn't affect sync with the exchange.
When disconnected the button should change to a Connect button.
Click the Connect button and your internet connection to Plusnet should be re-established.
That should ensure you have the latest service profile, and hopefully a slightly higher download speed.
David
Jessica
Grafter

That’s what I didn’t do.  I didn’t realise I had to disconnect and then reconnect.  I just did it and now I’ve gone from 5980kbps to 6608kbps.
Thanks for all the help and advice.
Jessica

Mand
Grafter

That's about right for a 7150 profile, certainly a decent improvement on the previous. Smiley
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: Jessica
I’m not complaining (not this time for once), but I thought my download speed would increase.  When I was synced 7616 my IP Profile was 6500.  Now I’m synced at 8128 and my IP profile has just increased to 7150 (took it long enough), my download speeds are exactly the same.  Odd isn't it...
My local exchange has no plans for anything other than DSL Max.  If I want faster, I’ll have to move house.
Cheers.

Hi Jess
No need to move house!! If it is really that important there are business services that can give you less contention or even a dedicated line.
As I said in earlier post you can get an idea of what is coming by checking your exchange for 21CN provision.  My exchange has no plans and a friend of mine down the road checked his and found he would only get 3mb WITH 21CN because of his proximity to the exchange.  In some areas you can get this just by signing up for 12 months, depends on what plan you are on.
This rebooting works both ways, yes you need to reboot ONCE but if you keep doing it the system may interpret this wrongly and downgrade you.  It is a case of giving it time.
As for speed you actually get, well there are so many bottlenecks, starting with the traffic shaping kit Plusnet uses and then all the kit thereafter.  The download speed can be a factor of the particular server you are connecting to,  I have started noting which ones are blisteringly fast and which are total dross, I know it depends on the time of day and how many people they are serving but they work as a useful benchmark when things don't seem right.
I don't know if it is the traffic shaping or the DNS kit at Plusnet but there seems to be a small delay and then a punch of performance when loading websites, I don't get this elsewhere just with Plusnet.
You might want to try that OS suggestion if you use XP, I certainly get a must faster response on my Win7 box on most sites yet if I ran speedtest.net on them both I would get comparable speeds.
There is also the human factor, we get used to things very quickly, so we may notice a small improvement at first but then get used to it.
Jessica
Grafter

I got to admit it, but since I re-booted a second time, I have noticed a slight increase in speed.  What do you think?  Should I complain?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

No, just go easy during peak hours or your download allowance will be used up in 10 minutes. Grin
David
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: Jessica
I got to admit it, but since I re-booted a second time, I have noticed a slight increase in speed.  What do you think?  Should I complain?

That seems pretty high, does it reflect real performance?  Surely that is some mistake?
Mand
Grafter

It's definitely a mistake, given that that upstream is the equivalent of our maximum downstream speeds. Wink
Zap
Grafter

Damn, I was hoping that your recent investments had led to the secret development of a new technology that could overcome the limits of the copper connection and exchange distance limitations!