cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my MTU on my plusnet router?

SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Re: How do I change my MTU on my plusnet router?

Im confused, surely there should be a way to change the mtu settings in the router without all this dos prompt stuff?? O.o its 2013!!
Also have I got the worst version of the Thomson router then as I see theres one with a higher number...
Any tehnical people online that know why my wireless broadcast speed has dropped by half please? Also on the mtu issue as well.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
ip iflist

I've not changed mine and it's 1500 so I see no reason why it should be necessary to change it.

I want it set to the Xbox Live recommend setting of 1364
James
Grafter

1500 should be absolutely fine.
Try changing the channels on your router and see which give the best speed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: SuperSaiyan4
I want it set to the Xbox Live recommend setting of 1364

Why would you want to slow your connection down when used by anything other than the Xbox?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

It is a shame that no one can seem to answer my questions without constantly questioning my reasoning behind me wanting to do what I want with MY connection *sigh*
I play black ops 2 online and I want to reduce my MTU settings in fact I specifically have my own internet connection in my room solely for Xbox Live and this is what I want to do if that's ok with everyone?

Also I have never ever come across any router in all the years of setting up and configuring PC's and networks where a router decides to just half the speed of the wireless broadcast speed...This is not good at all.
If it was trying to default to a wireless G signal then it would be 54mbps not 65mbps, in the case that it has dropped by half something tells me there is something wrong here.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Also that telnet doesn't work im using windows 8 pro 64bit.
So is there no where in the router where I can manage the mtu?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Just replace the router with your hh3, and all will be fine again. You can use your PN log in on the hh3.
The pn routers are notorious for poor wifi speed. There are multiple threads on here about them.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately not, there is only so much that can be accessed within the interface so the more technical stuff is left for telnet access.
The router normally limits the speed if it detects another interfering wireless signal in the area. try using http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to see what other signals are in the area, what channel they are on and switch the router to an empty channel.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Just replace the router with your hh3, and all will be fine again. You can use your PN log in on the hh3.
The pn routers are notorious for poor wifi speed. There are multiple threads on here about them.

Thank you.
I had an idea when I first got this router it was rather poor build etc and even more so when I saw the options available...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It will if you bothered to make the effort to find out how to enable it. This was the first result when I Googled "windows 8 telnet": http://www.sysprobs.com/install-and-enable-telnet-in-windows-8-use-as-telnet-client
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Unfortunately not, there is only so much that can be accessed within the interface so the more technical stuff is left for telnet access.
The router normally limits the speed if it detects another interfering wireless signal in the area. try using http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to see what other signals are in the area, what channel they are on and switch the router to an empty channel.

Thank you, I have now changed it to manual and set it to number 5 in the list now its back to 130mbps 🙂
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

It will if you bothered to make the effort to find out how to enable it. This was the first when I Googled "windows 8 telnet": http://www.sysprobs.com/install-and-enable-telnet-in-windows-8-use-as-telnet-client

I have never needed to use Telnet and with the advancement of technology never needed to go in a dos prompt to change mtu settings *facepalm*
Although thank you for the information and if this is the only solution I will use it, again thanks for the assistance.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thank you, I have now changed it to manual and set it to number 5 in the list now its back to 130mbps 🙂

Good to hear!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Well it went back to 65mbps and that link to the SSID is no good to me as I don't have wifi on my PC, the only thing I can do is just go through each channel, its a shame it cannot automatically pick the right one so it doesn't conflict with anyone elses 😞
Failing that ill either go back to the homehub 3 or do a direct Ethernet link to the xbox from router etc.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Hairy
Which is probably why no-one went into it and came back with the answer.  None of us use it.