cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I allow/enable Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) so I can use my VPN

murrayce

How do I allow/enable Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) so I can use my VPN

Hi
I have in the past used VPN on my plusnet broadband without any issues.  I have changed jobs and can not use my new VPN.  The error message I receive is and Error 806 and tells me the cause may be that GRE needs to be allowed.
I have contacted the 'support' team at plusnet and they helpfully answered the above question by telling me I had to ask via the forum.
I am far from technical and really need a step by step guide on how to do this.  My IT support at work keeps telling me that its something plusnet need to do but I'm getting nowhere - can anyone help?!?
Many thanks
8 REPLIES 8
prichardson
Grafter

Re: How do I allow/enable Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) so I can use my VPN

Hi, GRE is a protocol and this is not something we have to enable for you.
The only thing on our side that can cause this not to function, is our user selectable Broadband Firewall which must be set to off or low for a VPN to function. We can see that this is already set appropriately for you account.
Can you confirm what type of VPN client is in use please?
Is this Nortel or another type?
Can you confirm which router you are using?
Is this still the one we sent a couple of years ago?
murrayce

Re: How do I allow/enable Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) so I can use my VPN

Hi
We use a PPTP microsoft vpn.  Yes, I still have the last router you sent to me.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I would guess that the router is a TG585v7 if you've had it a couple of years.
There was a problem using PPTP VPN's with some versions of firmware.
Check out which and how to upgrade it here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

murrayce

thanks - will give that a go.  Out of interest - am I due a free router upgrade as a customer of many years only on her second router  Kiss
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not due for one as that isn't how Plusnet work but if you have had your present one for more than 12 months you can get a new one on payment of £4.99 p&p
The easy way is to click on Change My Product here http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection
Then Click on Keep this product and the next page allows you to order a router
i suggest the wireless one which is far superior to the wired one
murrayce

thanks - would that mean another tie in period?
Just shopping around at the minute so want to cover all bases.
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes - 12 months otherwise you pay for it when you leave - I think it is about £40
prichardson
Grafter

Hi murrayce,
Oldjim is correct in terms of obtaining a new modem and the tie in.
I have just checked the details of the router you are currently using. You have software version 8.2.23.0 which has PPTP removed. This is be exactly why you are seeing the issues.
You can upgrade the firmware on this unit to 8.2.6.5 linked on the page notes by MisterW, which will provide the PPTP you need to get the VPN working.