cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can this be fair

Teds31
Grafter

How can this be fair

I have noticed a marked drop in speed over the last few weeks ,and have given PN a list of test results and info on connections. This is included in their answer
Please accept my apologies if these questions are going over information you have already checked, but if the issue requires us to escalate it to BT then they require answers to these specific questions from yourself in this format.
This is also in place as a check for yourself as with any fault with the broadband service you need to be sure that everything has been checked at your end, as if BT confirm the issue to be caused by something at your end (faulty filter, extension cables, modem, etc...) then you will be billed for a failed fault check which is charged at £144.00 + VAT.
How can I possibly be certain that nothing in my home is at fault ,even though I have checked every thing to the best of my ability.I'm a pensioner and cannot find £144+ ,so I have told PN to forget it,even though I can hear noises on the line when I try 17070,I'm still not willing to risk it. Ted.
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: How can this be fair

Who do you pay for your telephone? If you can definitely hear noise on the line this needs to be investigated as a straight forward telephone fault and not a ADSL fault, and you should report it to your telephone supplier.
Have you got a modern master socket with a test socket inside?

If so you need to get hold of a wired telephone handset that you are positive works perfectly (test it at a friend/neighbours). Plug that on it's own in to the test socket. Dial a digit to get rid of the dial tone and listen (if you need longer before you get the number unobtainable tone dial 17070 and take option 2) - you should hear nothing. If there is still background noise report it to the company you pay for the phone rental - and don't mention ADSL. If they ask you about ADSL it's irrelevant, you are complaining about the noise on the line. If you do it this way there will be absolutely no question that you will be charged. If the noise is intermittent, ring in when the noise is present and make sure you speak to someone (don't rely on the automated tests) and ask for them to conform that they can hear the noise.
If you get the noise on the line fixed the broadband speed will over a number of days return to normal.
If there is no noise in the test socket post back and we'll help you identify what causes the noise.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Teds31
Grafter

Hi Jelv, I seem to have jumped the gun ,my usual mistake, PN have replied to my ticket with a positive help,so I will go along with them and hope they can do the job without the BT costs.Thanks for the help. Ted.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't know what PN have done, but if you do have a noisy line, make sure the you include that information on your fault ticket to make sure that things are dealt with as efficiently as possible.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)