cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set up Thomson TG585v7 as a wireless access point?

dksun

How can I set up Thomson TG585v7 as a wireless access point?

I have two TG585v7 routers and would like to set up the spare one as a wireless access point.  Not sure how I can do it.  Can anyone help?
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: How can I set up Thomson TG585v7 as a wireless access point?

Hi dksun
Can you explain what it is you're trying to achieve by using both routers?
Jojo Smiley
dksun

Hi Jojo,
I am trying to link up my new TV to the internet via its ethernet port by connecting it to the access point.  My TV is far away from my ADSL router,i.e. it is not practical to connect it with a cable.  If I can make use of the spare router as an access point, I can place it next to my TV and get internet access. Smiley
Thanks,
Daniel
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dksun,
Ah ok I see what your trying to do. To be honest I'm not sure whether the thomsons are capable of that, at least not without changing the firmware. Have you thought about using powerline ethernet as an option?
Jojo Smiley
dksun

Hi Jojo,
There are actually some other options available, such as buying a wifi adaptor from SONY or using a wifi bridge, but they are expensive!  What I am trying to achieve is to make use of the existing device I have rather than buying something new.
Is there a way I can find out if the Thomson router PN provided can be used as an access point?
Regards,
Daniel
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Daniel,
In your shoes I would probably do a bit of googling and post around a few forums. Unfortunately I don't know how you'd do that with the thomsons.
Jojo Smiley
avatastic
Grafter

Hi Daniel,
What you are describing is known as a wireless bridge.
You would leave the Thompson which is plugged in to the ADSL operating in its current mode as a wireless AP and you would set the TV Thompson to operate in bridge or client mode, on the same SSID + channel. If the Thompson's can do this then you should see the TV Thompson authenticating as a client in the ADSL Thompson's logs.
I've only done this before with Netgear APs, to bridge the upstairs and downstairs wired segments of my house, before I got BloodyLongEthernetCable(tm).
Due to not having a Thompson I can't say exactly what options you need to set, but the above is the theory at least!
Cheers,
A.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
dksun

Hi A.
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I can't find the option to change the router to client mode.  Cry
julesandsand
Grafter

A long shot but if you happen to have a Sonos system you can connect the TV to that.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It might be worth you keeping an eye eBay as I've bought several wireless bridges in the past for less than a tenner a time. The lack of demand for them means that they're expensive new, but secondhand you can often find them at a bargain price.
Mathew
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: dksun
.....unfortunately I can't find the option to change the router to client mode.  Cry

The Thomson's do support WDS but, depending on firmware, it may only be configurable via the CLI using commands under
:wireless wds
to enable it and to scan for and manage neighbouring AP(s). The wireless setting would have to be set up identically as well, and you may have to disable DHCP on the 'slave' router. I've not tried this on a Thomson and have no idea how well it works. Note that performance using WDS will never be stellar due to it's nature (starts off with a 50% drop for starters) and most older routers only support WEP under WDS. Personally I'd be looking at alternative methods, such as IP over the mains.