cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I cancel - Slow connection and spam

stuartm23

How can I cancel - Slow connection and spam

Hi

To elobrate on the title. Since I moved from Sky Broadband to PlusNet the speed has dropped and it is alot slower then advertised.

I am using the master socket, plugged in laptop via cat5 to rule out wifi issues. It is horrendous.

Additionally since moving to plusnet I have had alot more spam and re-directs happening. Since the move I have purchased a new phone too and I keep getting sites jump to a page that says stuff along lines of "you are a plusnet customer so put your details here for special offers etc".

I am far far far from happy and want to move asap. I have also had some NSFW re-directs. With children in the house I want to know my network is secure.

Help please

8 REPLIES 8
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: How can I cancel - Slow connection and spam

I am not a CS rep so cannot comment on the speed but it sounds like you have some sort of adware installed on your computer by the sounds of it.

Are you running any anti virus software? If you do, I recomend doing a full system scan.

For the NSFW redirects and weird advert popups, I would recomend that you get some anti adware software to locate and remove those. Try spybot search and destroy. There is a free version that will help you get rid of the infection. There are some others around but spybot is my goto application for when this type of thing happens.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

stuartm23

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

However i have tried 2 phones (1 new).

1 laptop (new)

The laptop and the new phone had only been on this network and got problems "out of the box".

Other then the sky box this is all that is attached to our network. If I use my phone and laptop at work I get no issues

So by trying different tests the only thing in common with the issues is the home network.

I have also checked the dhcp table to ensure no one has snuck on.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

Line diagnostics are picking up on a potential fault.

Please report this with us at http://faults.plus.net as the next step then drop me a reply here so I can follow things up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

My situation is nowhere near as bad as yours, but I am very disappointed about my move from Sky to PlusNet.

When with O2 on a BT line I used to get a fairly regular 5.4 over wifi , but was delighted on joining Sky to find that for most of the time my speeds were 6 to 6.4, rarely ever going below 5.4.

I know that I was only connected 9 days ago, but over the weekend my speeds dipped to 1.2 at one stage, rising to well under 5.

I spoke to a lady in tech and she checked the line saying the speed in was 5.7 . I know that wi fi , in fact any internal connection reduces speed, but now my incoming speed is not as good as my wi fi speed with Sky.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

When you were with Sky, you were on their (LLU) equipment in the exchange ...now you are back on good old BT Wholesale kit!!

Quite a few people find that their connections slow down when they move from LLU to BTW - a friend locally, certainly did last year -his connection speed almost halved.He has gone back to Sky this month

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If they are on an exchange where BT only offer 20CN ADSL1 and they were on Sky's own LLU equipment running ADSL2+ it's their own silly fault for not taking notice of the speed prediction when they signed up for Plusnet!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stuartm23

Hi

I am not getting the speed promised by plusnet.

Additionally you cannot expect all customers be aware of the infrastructure.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As per my previous reply if you can report a fault using the link provided then reply back here to let me know you have then we will be able to help you wit this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team