cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about a proper service status update?

kmw350
Rising Star

How about a proper service status update?

Sorry to moan about this, but this morning, my internet was not working (or occasionally connecting extremely slowly).

I phoned the support number and a message said

'There is a major service incident, our engineers are working to fix it, please try later or if able, check online'.

And yet, when I did manage to connect, there is NO mention of this problem online, (as of 0915hrs).

Come on PlusNet, when we have a problem, some of us immediately start going through various faultfinding options, trying alternative modems, moving everything to the master socket etc.

It surely isn't asking too much to be a but more proactive in your service status updates so that we don't all keep wondering if it is our own equipment at fault.

This surely has nothing to do with the planned maintenance, or if it does then the message should be updated to reflect this.

Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
nursemorph273
Grafter

Re: How about a proper service status update?

A service status announcement would be nice but apparently it is too much to ask for. To be honest, as soon as I saw connection/speed issues this morning, I just assumed there was an issue on Plusnet's end given the unreliability of the service recently...can't say it's entirely their fault but these last 2 months have been the worst I have ever seen with them

exileshope
Dabbler

I was on call overnight and rely on internet for work if called.

This morning I find no web connectivity at 7am. After testing everything (and having to use 3G on my phone to find the IPV4 not working message is a lie now!) I can ping and tracert everything. Just cannot browse to zip.

90 min of problem determination then suddenly it springs into life at 8:35am.

So much for a non-disruptive service outage. Or any information of a problem on the PlusNet pages.

After 14+ years with PlusNet its time for a change (to anything but BT!), reliability has been very poor the last 18 months and service isn't good enough.

Eserim
Rising Star

@exileshope wrote:

I was on call overnight and rely on internet for work if called.

This morning I find no web connectivity at 7am.

True, a update would be nice, however, you were always likely to lose connections last night as there was a planned maintenance period which extended to 07:00, so you got lucky you weren't called in a period that we were warned about.

exileshope
Dabbler

Posting a message on a Forum which I never look at other than when I have a problem is not 'warning me'. its more covering the companies corporate rear.

Sending me notification such as an email would be.

And in any event that notification says there should be no impact bar the odd blip. What I and others seem to have experienced is no service of any kind whatsoever...assuming of course that the issue is directly related to the planned maintenance.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I always get an email giving details - you just need to subscribe to it http://usertools.plus.net/

In my case I actually subscribe to the RSS feed and tie that in to my email client

moansalot13
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

or how about in the event of a major planned maintenance an email is sent to all likely affected customers  sometime before the planned event  - after all not everyone reads the Service status messages on the forum  ( suspect the majority don't) 

That way there is likely to be less panic when the service goes down  or is slower than normal  - and as already been mentioned a prerecorded message  on help desk line - so you don't get 131 + people trying to find out whats going on at same time

nursemorph273
Grafter

I just want the Service Status page on the website (the sole purpose of which is to notify us of any issues) to be updated to show there is an actual issue and to not show that everything is working perfectly because, going by that page, then Plusnet are pretending there isn't an issue. Frankly, I just want to know why I am not getting what I pay for and to know that PN are actually doing something about it and not just sat around drinking coffee...a couple of years ago, there would have been an update relatively early...not we don't even merit an update at any point

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you should start here then http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/ although personally I prefer the Zen page as it gives more details https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/

exileshope
Dabbler

Thanks Jim. That's useful...and subscribed now!

Still doesn't let the company off the hook over accurate information though. And in fact its shooting themselves in the foot not doing so. I work for a large corporate in IT..and the first  thing a large help desk does when an incident occurs is to record a vox msg and an update on Intranet. Cuts 90% of the repeat calls.

Bestie

I have been suffering the same. Supposedly having 'fast fibre' I am getting terrible speed, sometimes as low as 2Mbits per second. In light of the fact that Plusnet are increasing their prices, supposedly to keep their customer support satisfaction, I find this lack of info appaling on their part. Having checked their service status and it only reported planned work from 1am for 6 hours so I have spent two hours trying to find the problem at my end. I get better speeds using my 4G mobile network using my mobile as a hotspot. I am beginning to think I could save nearly £40 a month by ditching Plusnet and increasing my mobile data call plan allowance.

Wingus

I totally agree about updates. It claims to update every 10 min on Service Update. I don't think so, 10 hours mabee, not 10 min. Not only that, the customer support stats are updated every 15, but that looks like it's working. Strange, can get customer support stats but not network?...lol
Eserim
Rising Star

In corporate systems thinking speak, Plus net will have racked up loads of "Failure Demand" this morning - calls that could have been prevented.

So a lot of  those calls between 07:00 (when the scheduled maintenance finished) and 11:48 could have been avoided if a message was added to the web site.

There's a good chance that one of the "real" calls in this period may have been someone who, having been place 150th in a queue, decided that that was it, and will be leaving PN.

If anyone in my ICT organization left the customers uninformed for this length of time it would at minimum be a "curry offence" (curry has to be provided for the entire site) but more likely a severe bollcking.

alanalpha
Dabbler

i would talk to BT about being (bluntly) shafted as this mornings issues for me started at 0300 and got basic internet back about 0830 the other line in the house is run by BT directly and was working fine.... (personally i think BT is making faults on purpose against people not with them)

daibell
Hooked

I agree that the Status page should be updated immediately a fault is confirmed. There is a chance you will be able to reach it and it avoids the time I wasted thinking it may have been a problem at my end. Does anyone know what the actual problem was? Plusnet have kept very quiet about that.