Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Open NAT

Rdavison1
Dabbler

How To Open NAT

Hi
Just wondering if someone could help, I've tried a number of different things to open my NAT as all the Online games I play regard my NAT as being Strict.
Now I'm getting FTTC installed on Thursday thus will be using the Fibre router supplied by Plusnet, I'd assume when I change to that my NAT should be open, If not how do I go about fixing this as it's causing problems in games such as Call of Duty.
Thanks in Advance, Richard.
10 REPLIES 10
Rdavison1
Dabbler

How To Open NAT

Hi
Just wondering how I go about opening my NAT as It's causing problems in some online games. Now I'm getting FTTC installed on Thursday so I'd assume my NAT may be better when I switch to the Fibre router supplied by Plusnet, but if not how do I go about fixing this. I have tried a number of different things but no fix so far.
Thanks in advance. Richard.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: How To Open NAT

If it is the Technicolor you can't, it simply hasn't got a good firewall as its a problem with a number of games.  So if port forwarding fails then your only option is to use DMZ.  But if you use DMZ you need a good software firewall on the pc put into DMZ.  Less of an issue with consoles, but if its a pc it will need one.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

dick:green Duplicated topics merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bradw
Grafter

Enable gaming mode worked for me, but you can also try manually forwarding specific ports. Which console?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Enabling game mode and UPnP should do the job.
Also in the routers network settings, tick "always use the same IP address" for the console.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Unless the FTTC firmware has a better firewall[I have the ADSL version], I know that won't work for Warframe for one.
Disabling upnp and port forwarding doesn't work
Using just upnp again doesn't work
So I am left with using DMZ until I can replace the router with something better
npr
Pro

Quote from: Gus

Using just upnp again doesn't work

Did you tick "always use the same IP address" for the console?
That does appear to help with port forward and UPnP issues.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

I only do pc gaming and all my pc's are using fixed IP's on my network.  It's the first router I have had problems with forwarding ports, so until I can afford a better one I'm stuck with using DMZ
npr
Pro

I've always believed a dynamic IP address for the target device is better for port forward and UPnP on these routers. Together with "always use the same IP address" ticked.
Rdavison1
Dabbler

Forgot to mention I only do PC gaming, through Steam etc. Tried port forwarding and can't seem to fix the problem.
Tempted to upgrade to this router http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-N900-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B005UGRF16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13...;
rather than the one PN supplied with the FTTC