cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long after the Installation of the FIBRE BOX can i get fibre ?

waynem
Grafter

How Long after the Installation of the FIBRE BOX can i get fibre ?

Hi guys
just got back from my hols and it looks like the fibre box has been planted no more than 15 mtrs from house , so the question is how long before its wired and i can get me some of that there superfast Fibre Optic stuff  Grin  ??.
On a different note but re occuring theme .... my speed has dropped 2+ meg while i,ve been away even though it hasnt been used , did a router restart an it droped even more Sad  ... is this because it hasnt been used ?
Cheers
13 REPLIES 13
staking
Dabbler

Re: How Long after the Installation of the FIBRE BOX can i get fibre ?

maybe a week or two just
keep checking the bt exchange checker, it will tell you.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

This FTTC cab install diary may be of interest which someone has documented
http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=Diary_of_an_FTTC_Install

fwiw, The cab serving my street appeared 7 weeks ago. Now waiting for power to be connected at end of the month.  Our exchange was enabled 18 months ago.
A friend saw a new cab installed back in July in their street. It is powered up, but still no indication of when they can order fibre.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
waynem
Grafter

Hi thanks for the replies , the exchange has been enabled for ages  Smiley ... but  my area didnt have the fibre box  ...  the box has been installed in the street  and theres a big trench  next to  it , maybe tomorrow i,ll see whos working there  power people or bt etc ... hurry up LOL  Grin
Y2J
Grafter

Dont get your hopes up, my Box was installed about 2 years ago
Still not turned on.
waynem
Grafter

Oh No ...dont say that  Cry
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well depends, I would check the openreach fibre rollout page, url on on here somewhere.
My cabinet was installed then power added the next month, and the exchange went live last month with the cabinets.
So about 2 months after it was installed, but that was also an exchange upgrade.
anniesboy
Rising Star

I hope you wont be in the same situation as me, see this post and my reply number13 .
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107988.0.html
waynem
Grafter

using BT  status checker , it shows as accepting orders  for superfast broadband ....tells to contact my provider .... so PN i,d really like to order some superfast..... 80/20 please  Smiley as soon  as please
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

you can do it online through the portal, just select change my package.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
CX
Grafter

Keep checking for local roadworks to give some indication as to when you may be able to order. Openreach need to run fibre from the exchange to the cabinet, and this can take months.
The Openreach "Superfast Broadband" map says my exchange is accepting orders, yet I don't know of anyone who has actually been able to order yet. My FTTC cabinet was installed in the first 2 weeks of July and they still haven't reached it with the fibre, but that's hardly surprising when they come across blocked ducts every 100m or so. There are dozens of other cabinets which are planned to have FTTC and their work hasn't even started yet. Even the cabinets which have been connected up aren't live yet so I'm guessing there's still work to do at the exchange.
waynem
Grafter

Do they not just splice off from the fibre cable that allready runs along the end of my road to the New green box an then feed the house,s from this remote box ?
CX
Grafter

Once the FTTC cabinet has its incoming fibre connected, and the tie pairs connecting it up to the existing/old PCP cabinet, that's it. The VDSL signal is sent over the existing copper wires from the old PCP cabinet to your house.
waynem
Grafter

Hi ..thanks , thats what i thought  , i,ll try an catch a workman /engineer an see what the state of play is .... Smiley