cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I find Out If My Exchange Is Ever Going To Be Upgraded?

PembsPanther
Grafter

How Can I find Out If My Exchange Is Ever Going To Be Upgraded?

Morning All
As the title says really, how can I find out if my local exchange (rural Wales!) is ever going to be upgraded to fibre? I hope us rural folk are not going to be completely overlooked and never get upgraded, I work from home as do a LOT of rural thirty and forty somethings I probably have more of a need for fibre than most city and town dwellers. Is there even and end date in the pipeline when all exchanges will be at least fibre? Crikey I hope it is not all left down to BT I will be waiting forever!
At one time it was a simple race between a fibre upgrade and 4g but with the ridiculous price of 4g and the even more ridiculous usage restrictions looks like I am once again at the mercy of BT wholesale, NOT a great place to be at!
Thanks
Chris
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: How Can I find Out If My Exchange Is Ever Going To Be Upgraded?

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PembsPanther
Grafter

Thanks for that Jelv, I have seen this page before but never bookmarked it, I have now.
It say my local exchange is under evaluation as part of a Government funding programme, any idea how long this evaluation period is, or what it entails, I would really like some sort of date even if it 12 - 24 months away it would be nice to know that it is going to be upgraded even eventually.
Why does this process of upgrade take soooooooo long?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the partnership is between the Welsh Government and BT. It looks like "where" might have already been settled, "when" now under discussion. Contacting the Welsh Government along with others in your local community and the local council might help.
More information.
David
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: PembsPanther
Why does this process of upgrade take soooooooo long?

Unfortunately because it costs £££s to upgrade the infrastructure and someone (ie usually BT) has to take into account the return on investment. The more rural the area in which we live the more it can cost (because everything's spread over a larger area with no convenient way to lay cable etc) and a lower population density to actually pay for the higher cost. So the areas with the higher RoI get done first.
At least you've got the Welsh Government willing to consider investing in infrastructure to make it worth BTs while. I wish we had a "Dorset Government" to consider funding our "Not currently in rollout plans" exchange so we can get more than the 2mbps we currently get  Angry
m063
Grafter

Quote from: MrC
I wish we had a "Dorset Government" to consider funding our "Not currently in rollout plans" exchange

See http://www.dorsetforyou.com/superfast-dorset/when-is-superfast-broadband-coming
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I had an exchange of emails with my MP over this subject last year when the Government announced funding to double the speed of BB in towns and cities. Apparently there are schemes to increase the speed and reliability of BB in rural areas and I was quoted Lincolnshire had been awarded a substantial amount but it doesn't make the news in the same way and seems to take much longer for work to start.
AndyH
Grafter

Is your exchange 21CN yet/how many premises does your exchange serve? (you can find out here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search)
PembsPanther
Grafter

Hello
Thanks for the link, I cannot find anything that says 21CN the only details I can see is that is ADSL Max Status as of 31.03.2006.
It serves 835 residential and 67 no residential properties it is Market 1.
Thanks
Chris
dick:quote
PembsPanther
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies guys and that link Spraxyt I did not even know that website existed!
Chris