cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House of multiple occupation, new line installation.

thereverend
Dabbler

House of multiple occupation, new line installation.

I live in a house of multiple occupation and a previous housemate had the phone line in his room, and he was sound with having the router. However a new guy is in now, with his GF and they plug directly into the router and use a shed-load of bandwidth.

Is there anyway of getting the line moved into my room without an excessive charge?

I'm at the end of my contract anyway, so am paying the higher cost and am wondering if I should just switch provider if that is easiest?

5 REPLIES 5
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: House of multiple occupation, new line installation.

who is the account holder? is it you or the person who is in the other room?
if it is you then you can request openreach to do it (via your line provider) but it'll cost you the full amount of the engineer visit.

also, as that room is not yours, you'll need the permission of the owner of that room to let the engineer in.
it's not your room so you can't force entry.

the fact that you're at the end of your contract is irrelevant really. the cost to do the work will be the same no matter which ISP you are with. switching provider won't give you a free visit to move the master socket.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Just to be clear, what are you trying to achieve?  The title refers to a new line, but the narrative says move the line.

Are you saying that the new house mate & GF pay in full for the existing service, use the whole of its bandwidth and are unwilling to share it / there is none to share?

Just to be sure I understand the problem, how do you know that there is not enough band width?

Any premise can have multiple lines installed ... subject to there being sufficient capacity in BT's equipment.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thereverend
Dabbler

Oh I am the account holder, Its just a massive pain in the A**** having to try to deal with him/his GF as their English is not that great (Although far better than my Portuguese admittedly)

Looks like I'll just have to grin and bear it then!

Cheers for the reply

thereverend
Dabbler

My aim is to get the router and main line moved out of his room and into mine, as I am the account holder and he is essentially stealing the service I pay for.

I should not have said bandwidth, but I'm not very technical,

I just want to be in control of my services.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

OK, now I clearly understand the problem - they disrespectfully just access the router and use your internet service.

There are a couple of things you can do.

1. Request a master socket relocation via your phone provider - I think that's £140
  2. Install a proper phone extension (wired to the back of the removal part of the face plate to where you want the router and remove the router
  3. If you cannot trust your house mate not to interfere with the phone socket get and install one of these over the socket http://www.capella.co.uk/js131-bt-box.html

Alternatively - which router is it?  It might be possible to configure the router so that the Ethernet ports cannot access the Internet.  Another approach could be to use the parental controls in a very aggressive manner which inhibits all internet access for him/her.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.