Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move x2

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: House move x2

Well stability is a good thing if everything else is good, but I'm not convinced. Those FEC errors are far too high. There've been a few inconsistencies which is why I suggested getting a comparison from another modem/router.
As regards bellwire disconnection, at the master socket is the most critical, as already said just check the phone still rings (by using a good/proper! filter).
If your PN profile hasn't gone up to match BT's, you'll have to get Jameseh to get a Birmingham spanner on it.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I haven't got a spare router to test this out with Sad
I did try the D-Link 320B from my parent's old PN account but, although CSC could see I was connected, it failed to allow me any access - problem with that router & IP blocks!
I was hoping that Jameseh would be 'popping in' here and read about my profile. Perhaps he can organise the loan of a 4-port router for me to test with at the same time.
Re: Bellwire...
I thought I'd describe what I saw on closer inspection before removing any wires in case of other potential problems.
What I found was the following.
On my line (Left-hand side as you look):
Orange/white to terminal 2
White/orange to T5
Blue/white & white/blue both go to T5 on my mum's connection!!!
On my mother's line:
Orange/white to T3
Blue/white to T2
White/Blue to T5
Why should two of my line wires be going to T5 on my mother's - is that standard/correct? I would expect the BT guy to know his job.
I'll wait to hear from you again before attempting any disconnection of bell wire.
Thanks as always Smiley
Edit: PM'ed Jameseh who has updated my profile and will send a loan router to see if that rectifies the errors being reported Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anotherone
Champion

I know you said you thought the picture quality wasn't very good from your mobile phone, but I think you should treat yourself to a new pair of specs. Grin Grin
You are sharing an incoming cable. Your mother's line is on the blue pair, your line is on the orange pair.
It looks to me (from the first picture DSC00027) as though on your mother's side there are 2 Blue/white wires on T2 and 2 White/blue wires on T5!! and an Orange/white on T3. The cable that has the Orange/white from T3 (also a Blue/white & a White/blue) is the one going off to your mother's extensions. It is this Orange/white from T3 which is the "bellwire" that you need to disconnect.
Obviously (I hope) do not disconnect either of the Orange pair from your side otherwise 'you' will have no connection Wink
That  "shared incoming" cable must have another connection/joint in it somewhere before it gets to that "grey box" outside which you photo'd. It woukl be handy to know where that is for future reference/checking
Mav

Quote from: Anotherone
I know you said you thought the picture quality wasn't very good from your mobile phone, but I think you should treat yourself to a new pair of specs. Grin Grin

Should've gone to Specsavers Wink
I had a closer look. Definitely two cables behind the face plate each with a set of 6 coloured wires.
To confirm: Orange white from T3 (previously on mother's side) now disconnected and folded to back of socket along with other unused wires. All phones ring as expected - no audible noise.
Cable 1 (Mother's - Right-hand side):
Blue/White to T2
White/Blue To T5
All others not connected.
Cable 2 (Mine):
Orange/White to T2
White/Orange to T5
Blue/White to T2 (on mother's side)
White/Blue to T5 (on mother's side)
Others not connected.
I am still wondering why the Blue/White+White/Blue from what I deem to be my line are crossed over to my mother's. What purpose, if any, does this serve? I certainly can't answer her phone on my line or vice-versa.
All new filters on each phone in the house including the Sky connection.
Can't see any other connection/junction box outside the house.
HTH.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Mav

Just an update:
Received the loan router this morning - thanks James.
Before trying it I had rebooted old router around 9 hours ago. What I noticed was that it resynced at 1,100 / 5,436 with Att 45dB and S/N 6.5. but it has reverted to G.992.3 annex A!
FEC Up error greatly reduced from over 4Trillion but down still very high.
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 23,437,166
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 187
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 164

I re-entered the instruction xdsl debug multimode config=g992.5_annex_a via telnet and now:
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,040 / 5,579
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.5 / 48.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 6.0

The FEC Down errors are creeping up by about 13,000 every 10 seconds!
I'll change routers shortly and report back later.
Edit: after around 15 minutes:
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 1,138,119
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Mav

Further update...
New router installed
Set to ADSL 2+ but no wireless setup yet.
These are the stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:13:04
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,052 / 5,543
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.5 / 48.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 6.5
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,262 / 740,398
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,262 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1

As you can see, less than 15 minutes and excessive errors again Smiley
BT SpeedTest
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 5543 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1051 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3726 kbps

Seems I must have synced a bit lower over last couple of days as my profile was 4500.
To me, this indicates that there may be potential faults with my line. Is it worth investigating further or accept what I now get?
Any advice appreciated as always Smiley

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Looks like a reporting error:
4,294,967,262 = 2^32 - 34
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

Checked FEC again and UL errors haven't increased but DL is over 22,000,000 in 6.3 hours. That's around 100 per second.
How do I go about reporting this as a fault when
1) I am getting good speeds even though I get frequent disconnects and
2) According to this thread there is not any proper support for ADSL 2+ in place.
Should I get put back onto IPStream Max first or can it still be reported?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Even though you are on the 21CN trial you can still raise a "dropping connection fault" (in your case) at http://faults.plus.net/. For clarity I suggest adding that you are on the 21CN trial, have sought advice through the forums and tried an alternative router supplied by Plusnet.
The post you referred to should not infer there is not support in place for the trial, but that might not be 24x7 and as with anything new problems can take longer to resolve; also resolution might not be as straightforward as it should be.
David
David
Mav

I have now raised a connection fault (#28674822 ).
Not able to turn off router firewell as requested as that option is uneditable.

Anotherone
Champion

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to turn off the router firewall? (you should be able to - granted!).
Now, the incoming cable. How can I explain this - you are sharing the incoming internal cable. If anything it "was" your mother's cable as her service was the first one. The standard cable usually used has 3 pairs & as you know, each service needs one pair. Convention puts a single service on the blue pair, a second service on the orange pair. If there was a third service it would be on the green pair.
Edit: Is the loan router another 585v7?
Mav

H Anotherone
The fault checker requested the firewall to be turned off. I did find where to do this but only after the automated checks had finsihed. Thought it very worrying that both the router & software firewalls were requested to be turned off
Re: cabling : Doh - just hit me. The cable on the right (which I was calling my mother's) must be the feed to her extensions upstairs. Now I am understanding  Cheesy
Yes, the loan router is another 585v7.
Just had two replies from the fault ticket:
We have been monitoring your fault and believe the issue to be resolved now. Please monitor and advise should further issues occur.

&
Plusnet DSL via PlusDSL.net 195.166.128.87 active 12:00 02/May/2009 unknown (Interim update) 80.229.90.177 Not set   17:59 01/May/2009 N/A   18:32:24 (on going)
Plusnet DSL via PlusDSL.net 195.166.128.87 ended 17:59 01/May/2009 unknown (Termination by server side (NAS) Modem) 80.229.90.177 Not set   16:12 30/Apr/2009 17:59 01/May/2009  One Day, 1:46:46

I rebooted the router so that FEC errors are zero's and within 9 minutes:
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 592,438
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 4
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4

I reysnced
Uptime: 0 days, 0:08:37
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,088 / 5,475

Note that the (loan) router has reset itself to G.992.3! Why should this be?
Att 45dB S/N 6.5dB.
What's the next step? Do I just play ticket tennis or is there something else that can be done?
@jameseh.
I'm off to Ukraine for 10 or so days next week. With preparations and the bank holiday I am not going to be able to send the loan router back till I return. Is that acceptable?
Edit: Sorry for the long posts - please bear with me Smiley
Edit 2: Currently 2,759,846 FEC DL errors after 37mins 15 secs
That's an average of over 1234 per sec! I have not been able to ascertain what that rely implies from Google searches.

Anotherone
Champion

You should not need to turn your computer software firewall off at all. I would suggest that such a request is challenged and refused.
With regard to these FEC errors, this may be due to some bug in the v7 firmware but whether it's triggered by a noise issue on the line is anyones guess. Another non speedtouch router should be tried for comparison.
As far a syncing at G992.3, I'm sure I read somewhere recently that if the line wasn't good enough to use all the ADSL2+ frequencies, it would sync at ADSL2. (can't remember where at the moment)
Mav

Re the firewall off request from the Broadband Fault Checker pages. It does seem ilogical and dangerous to do that for the required tests - is that step really necessary? Perhaps someone from PN could clarify this.
Not sure how I can get hold of another non-575v7 router to test the FEC errors further.
I think I read that somewhere about the re-syncing at G992.3, too. But, surely, with low S/n Margin and att between 44.5/48.5 my line should perform better than it is?
Anyway, a steep learning curve is all this Smiley
Edit: From what I can find the main difference between ADSL2 and + is 12000 against 24000 theoretical maximum DL speed.

Mav

I have received a reply from the Faults team:
Basically, the end of a list of tests and stats it says 'Test OutCome Pass '.
They have then requested that I plug the router into the Test socket behind the master. Obviously I can't do this and have replied as such. Am I now stuffed or should BT replace the master socket or is it down to me. If it is my responsibility what is available to purchase that fits the bill?
Thanks again.