House move x2

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: House move x2

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: Anotherone
you didn't comment about wiring.

Sorry, the router is connected direct into the master (socket through a filter) which was installed by BT on Tuesday. In fact, because it's a second line, they installed a double socket using the four wires already into the original master. The house is relatively new (7 years). The s/n has increased to 7dB..................................................

Any chance of a picture of this animal?
Does your parents' master socket have any extension wiring? Do they have a Cordless phone?
Something happened on the 3rd April to up your noise levels.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Sorry for the lack of reply here for a while; SWMBO is still away and I have been rather busy with other 'chores' in the meantime  Sad
Up till yesterday not much had changed with s/n reducing from around 10/11dB in the day to 5.5/6 in evening. Without rebooting I would re-sync as low as 37xx in evening and high as 44xx during the days and my profile reduced to 3000.
Yesterday I lost internet while asleep and got it back this evening syncing at 5155 down and 888 up so it seems I am now on the 21CN trial - I do hope this doesn't complicate things further. I was only able to re-connect his evening by re-entering the Username and Password into the router. There is no way I deleted them and no-one esle here as access - strange, though, that the Remember option was still ticked.
I hope to have the photos of the BT socket done tomorrow and will post them as soon as. I have moved the router away from the TV and surround system FE unit - but only did that this afternoon.
I'm concerened about the amount of errors reported after just 3 hours:
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 1,554,089
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 88
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 81

Att is now 44.5dB and s/n is 4.5dB.
I realise I have to wait yet another 10 days for the 'training' period and will refrain from rebooting - unless, of course, it becomes necessary.
Thanks for all the continued support Smiley
Edit: My parent's Master socket as mentioned above is on the same faceplate as mine. They do have an extension in the master bedroom and the 'office' upstairs. These extensions were added when the property was built around 8 years ago. They have a cordless phone connected to the master socket by an extension cable and normal phones upstairs. Each phone has a splitter connected. Not sure how my parent's broadband or connected phones could affect my connection but am willing to undergo any tests to keep a stable high sync where possible Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anotherone
Champion

That's heading for a 6dB noise variation, which in my view is excessive. Considering that your line is u/g not overhead, unless the line is out of balance (can you hear hum on it?) local sources of noise have to be strong contenders. As your parent's line is on the same drop, there might be an element of cross-coupling, so interference there should be considered.
The username/password issue could be because of the mode change. Unless you did a powerdown of the modem/router before syncing on ADSL2+, I'd just put those enormous error figures down to the loss of sync whilst the changeover took place - providing they don't re-occur.
When it's convenient, powerdown the modem/router (even for several hours). Powerup at a suitable time, I'd suggest when noise levels have likely gone to about 6-7 dB, only because we don't know how much lower it may go and if the modem/router will hang on and what the error rates may do.
Mav

Any chance of a picture of this animal?

Here are three photos of the 'animal' Smiley
My BB is the left hand connection. Both my parents and I have filters directly into our reespective sockets. Do any of these help at all?
My apologies for the poor quality but my camera is packed away somewhere so have relied on the mobile phone's Roll_eyes
Can't hear any hum.
I did press the rest button when I found I was unable to connect any other way - I doubt that should have wiped the username/pw, though?
What if I power down the router whenI go to bed - probably around 3/4 am and power up again around 9/10 in the morning?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Power brick right beside the filter? Not sure I like that!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

I had been wondering about that...
But, surely, moving the filter by way of a short extension lead would not make any difference considering the faceplate is right next to a row (all 4 used) of mains sockets?

Anotherone
Champion

Yuk,Yuk.
For several reasons (not picture quality - that's OK).
First re last comment. No extension lead on the filter Roll_eyes What's that brick running anyway. If it's the modem/router I can't see it making any difference BUT as it's unshielded no doubt, but the output will be fltered (I would hope) you could try the brick further away to see if it makes any difference.
Going for caffiene top up, back in a mo.
Anotherone
Champion

As that double master isn't any form of NTE5 variant, is that incoming cable joined to the drop or u/g cable at one of those new external NTEs.
Bellwire on your parent's line, not likely to have much effect on a fixed 2M connection but never the less still act as a nice aerial and interference could be coupled into your line. I'd disconnect that at the master and all extensions. But see next.
I see that's a Plug-splitter microfilter on your parents' line. If it's one of the older nasty types it may feed the bellwire through rather than create its own. So if used elsewhere, you need to check that the phone still rings after you've disconnected the bell wire (should be ok at the master). The phone may not need the bell wire anyway. If it doesn't ring, try one of your filters and use the thing somewhere else on your parents' line that doesn't need a bell wire/phone.
As for looking for sources of noise, don't forget to try switching off all cordless phones and base stations and unplugging from the lines to see if that affects the noise levels.
Edit: As for powering up the router well that's up to you, you may want to wait turning it off until you've had a go at reducing the noise. The only reason I said about 6-7db is that it shouldn't cause any massive change in sync speed,  which may leads to drops if the noise margin then goes too low. But if  you manage to reduce some of the noise, the time when the margin is 6-7db may change and in any event with reduced noise you should get a better sync speed (this assumes that you have a Target SNRM of 6dB).
Mav

As that double master isn't any form of NTE5 variant, is that incoming cable joined to the drop or u/g cable at one of those new external NTEs.

I have no idea what the new external NTEs are or look like  Embarrassed It's dark now so I'll pop outside tomorrow and see what's on the other side of the wall.
The spliiter by my parent's master socket is quite old, I think, as is the one in the bedroom. The office one is what came with the Sky router. I'll get the others changed to two, reasonably, new ones tomorrow. Will also disconnect the bell wire - which colour and/or connector will the bell wire be?
I have turned off cordless phones previously (I have one in my room by the PC and my parents have one in the living room) with no effect.
The router resynced about 17 mins ago to 888 / 5,312. This probably coincided with the streetlights turning on although I can't see any from my window.
The Att went to 45dB and s/n to 6dB
Around 5 mins after I refreshed and the Up errors have increased dramatically again:
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 18 / 0 
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 29,297
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 12
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 9

I was reading up on the Thomson and wondered: should the DSL Type be set to G.992.5? It's currently set to G.992.3 annex A. If so, how do I make this change?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the Thomson DSL Mode could (and probably should) be set to multi-mode which allows it to choose the best of ADSL2 (x.3) or ADSL2+ (x.5) as it sees fit. Indications from posts in the 21CN forum are that the former will be chosen if the higher ADSL2+ frequencies make no contribution. That possibly applies in your case.
David
Mav

Below is a photo of the box outside where the BT cable enters - is that any help?
Unfortunately, to be able to change the filters on all (3) my parent's extensions along with removing the bell wire will have to wait till my better half returns in 3 weeks as there is a lot of heavy furniture to be moved Sad
Will it hurt to leave things that long?
The 'brick' next to the splitter is for the router.
Meanwhile the Att is staying at 45dB and the s/n has increased to 7dB and I am syncing at 888 up and 5166 down - last re-sync was 19.5 hours ago.
The number of errors remains high:
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 11,289,520
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 272
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 222

Thanks for the continued support

Mav

At 20:39 I was disconnected and re-connected. Already dark outside so doubt if ot wa street lighting. Was expecting the sync to be lower but is slightly higher at 5266. S/n has gone down to 6.5. Not sure what all this means but, already (within 2 minutes) have 4,294,967,264 up FEC and CRC errors.

Anotherone
Champion

I guess it means something isn't right (nothing like stating the obvious)  Crazy
Being slightly more serious do you have a known good router you can try? I'm beginning to suspect that this 585 maybe faulty.
The bell wire is the orange one on terminal 3, which socket is their phone plugged into?
Did the BT engineer have that grey covering off outside? I'm guessing there must be another connection inside somewhere.
Mav

From another thread I found how to set the Thomson TG585 to ADSL2+ and have synced at over 5000 for a couple of days:
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 5,643

Att has gone up, though:
(Up/Down) [dB]: 25.5 / 48.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 7.0

Up errors have stayed low for the last three hours:
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 18,434,868
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 123
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 101

BT test showed my profile has risen to 4500 Smiley
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 5643 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  888 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2610 kbps

I'm not sure I could squeeze any more out of this. Still have some further checks to make as requested by Anotherone when SWMBO comes home. But, if this connection remains stable then maybe best left alone Wink
Meanwhile, my speed is restricted to 3000 due to my PN profile. Could someone kindly give it a kick, please
Edit: Added BT test result.

Mav

Just a quick update....
Things seem stable so far. Still syncing at 888 / 5643 with att of 48.5 and s/n at 4.5. This is good news now, yes?
No more up errors but just over 70,000,000 DL FEC errors (18.5 hours). Is that acceptable? Does it indicate a potential problem somewhere?
Still a little concerned that my profile at PN hasn't yet risen to match the BT profile of 4500 Sad