cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move x2

Mav
Fixes: 514

House move x2

In a month or so my wife and I will be moving into my parents' for a while (possibly up to a year) and I wish to take my BB account with me. They are BB enabled (used to be with PN but now with Sky).
With the possibility of two moves within a year we, obviously, want to keep our costs down. Currently, I have the deferred cost of a router (november 2008) and the £3 discount.
What options are open to me to make the moves as smooth as possible without incurring too many charges. Also, I am on Premier 2 which I do NOT want to lose?
Any advise would help helpful.
Edit: I have static IPs - would I be assigned new ones or could I keep the current?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

147 REPLIES 147
Mand
Grafter

Re: House move x2

Hi there,
Do you want to move your broadband to your folk's existing connection, or as a second connection?
Mav

Hi Mand.
I'll want to move it to my parent's existing connection.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Mand
Grafter

Ok.
In that case your best option is to get a MAC for your parents connection and migrate that to us on your existing product and account. We can cease your current service (a cost of £20).
Then when you come to move again you can get a deferred house move for your new place, and either setup a new account with us for your folks, or transfer the line to another ISP.
Mav

Thanks Mand
What's the time-scale for completion?
I assume I pass the MAC on to PN and let you do the rest including the cessation?
The only down side is that I now sync at almost 7500 (I can see the exchange from my door) but my partents are 3.8km (2.8km direct)  away so I expect I'd get around 3000. Currently they have remained at a fixed 2MB connection both previously with PN and now with Sky. Can you do the upgrade to MaxDSL at the same time?
Their Exchange is due to be 21CN enabled on 30.3.09 so would I be able to go on the ADSL2 trial?
Sorry so many questions.
Cheers

Mand
Grafter

A migration takes around a week to complete, a cease can be done in a couple of days.
We can upgrade to Max at the same time with no problem, and you would be able to go on the ADSL2+ trial once your exchange is enabled.
If you wanna give me a shout once you have the MAC I'll sort things our side for you. Smiley
Mav

Thanks for your help Mand.
One last question - when I go for the above what would the expected down time be?

Mand
Grafter

A migration shouldn't involve any real down time in terms of the connection, but you will obviously need to switch the login details on your router to the Plusnet ones once the order is complete.
Mav

Thanks.
I'll give you the preverbial nod when I'm ready to move and have the MAC key

Mand
Grafter

No probs. Smiley
The_10th
Grafter

Can you confirm the cost of moving house. I thought there was a one-off £20 fee for cease and reprovide not linked to any 12 month contract. It was a cause for concern some time ago when prices were increased.
Mand
Grafter

The £20 fee relates to a cease, a new provision costs £40. The total cost of a house move is therefore £60.
This is a slightly different situation, which will be handled manually.
The_10th
Grafter

Is there a minimum contract for this way or a 12 month contract if 'free' move?
James
Grafter

A deferred house move on a Broadband Your Way product lasts 18 months.
Mav

Hi Mand
There is a change to the above circumstances in that I have decided, rather than pay around £130 to cancel my current BT line (contract - you know the strories Wink ) we will have a new line installed in my parents' home costing about £122. This way I stay a BT customer and keep all my current services.
I have an order number, new telephone number and date of provision - 31st March.
BT have also put a notice of 'simultanious broadband provide To PlusNet' on the order which, I am told, should make the BB move easier.
Can you advise me when you would require the Order Number,any  other info you require as well as any changes to your costs.
Appreciate your help.
Thanks