cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move question

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: House move question

We'll I'm shocked  Crazy  Thought you were here there and everywhere...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and very rarely the Game
Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: adiewoo
Think Annie already is using the VoIP service see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75681.0.html

That's very observant of you. Yes, we got the VOIP set up and ready to go for when we moved. We had two phone lines in our old house but now intend to utilize the VOIP geographic number instead of the second line. I haven't connected it up since the move but will do so in the next few days.
£5.99 is better than the £13 or £14 I pay at the moment so I will seriously take a look at Value in the next few weeks.
On a slightly different note, since the broadband has been activated today, I've noticed a slight hiss on the phone line. I have only rung 1471 so far to test this. I have filters connected into each extension where something is plugged in. I also notice a bit of feedback on the phone just as I place the handset down on the base. Is there anything I can do about the hiss and feedback please?
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

I thought I'd post my stats (see image).
Annie
James
Grafter

Thanks Annie.
Those line stats look pretty normal for the length of your telephone line.
Annie
Rising Star

Update since the house move.
I'm soooo disappointed about my line speed. In my old house I was getting 6Mbps but here it's under 1Mbps much of the time. I think I got connected last Friday and have been disconnecting and reconnecting my router as I think I'm meant to. I've also noticed a few disconnections but it usually comes back online a short while afterwards. Once or twice I've had to unplug and plug the router back in.
The BT speedtester is even worse than when I posted the first day :
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 896 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 647 kbps
The MyBroadband Speed checker shows:
Today 23:34 955 kbps (119kB/s) 382 kbps (47.8kB/s) Share
Today 23:32 1023 kbps (128kB/s) 378 kbps (47.3kB/s) Share
Today 23:08 913 kbps (114kB/s) 372 kbps (46.5kB/s) Share
Jun 11, 17:37 1722 kbps (215kB/s) 382 kbps (47.8kB/s) Share
Jun 4, 17:26 6722 kbps (840kB/s) 363 kbps (45.4kB/s) Share
(Note: the 4th June was at my previous property).
I've had nightmarish problems with BT on the phone side of things. I had the phone line installed on 14th May so I could get everything in place before the move. They took 3 weeks to close off the order of the phone line. This held up the renumbering that I requested and the issue of a Callsign number. This wasn't closed off correctly either so when I went to order Unlimited Anytime on Monday last, the order failed. Having had promises of a callback two days running and no word from them, I'm excasperated. I'm still waiting to get Caller Display also. I know that BT still have my account number assigned to the original number they issued me a month ago which seems to be why I'm continuing to have problems.
What I'm getting to is, is there any chance that my miserable line speed is due to any of these difficulties at BT? I thought a download speed of 2400 on 11th June wasn't very good but it's halved since then.
I know I haven't gone 10 days yet - do I need to wait longer and do you think things will improve over the next few days if I wait?
Annie
James
Grafter

Hi Annie,
I don't think it's going to be related to the problems you've had with BT recently.
What router stats do you get straight after a reboot?  Is it different at all?
I'm afraid to say that it's unlikely you'll get more than 2Mbps on a line that long, but it should be better than what it currently is.
Annie
Rising Star

I've just taken two screenshots. Ironically, the one before the reboot was higher than it has been but after the reboot, it's gone right back down again.
Annie
James
Grafter

Thanks Annie.
Are you able to test directly to the test socket?
Annie
Rising Star

Is that in the master socket? I have a desktop machine which is connected to the router via Ethernet. My husband's computer is attached wirelessly. All this gear is upstairs. I could bring the router downstairs and use the wireless connection. What do you need me to do once this is set up?
Annie
James
Grafter

Annie,
Ideally if you could unscrew the faceplate from the master socket, there should be a socket on the middle right which you can plug your filter into and then the router into that.
Then try using your husbands wireless connection to see what the router stats look like - hopefully there'll be an improvement.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Picture of test socket
Annie
Rising Star

Here's the stats from the test socket:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3168 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.6 db 20.0 db
Seems to be much improved. All other extensions are off. So, where does this leave me now please? Presumably it's going to be a process of elimination. Some of my extensions branch off from each other so I'm not sure I can isolate them one by one, other than to not have something plugged into them at the other end.
Annie
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you post a picture of the inside of the removable lower faceplate (use the additional options tag below the reply box)
James
Grafter

Hi Annie,
Your broadband speeds are almost always going to be better from the master socket than they will be if you use an extension socket.
It's always going to be best if you can use your master socket if possible - do you get the same sort of speed by using your master socket normally (making sure all of your extensions are filtered) without using the test socket?