Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move question

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

House move question

I've just completed the wizard to move my broadband connection and the estimated line speed says 2.0Mb. It's the Crownhill exchange in Plymouth. Does this mean that the exchange has not been upgraded yet to get the 8Mb speeds. How long do you think it will be before they do, does anyone know?
I feel like I'm going to have to take a backwards step. I've kept on the legacy products in order to maintain speed and reliability but now it would seem there's not much point or can anyone tell me differently?
Annie
39 REPLIES 39
itsme
Grafter

Re: House move question

Try this speedchecker http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php Crownhill have been upgraded for ADSL24+ so you could get up to 24Mbps
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nothing wrong with the exchange, it bang up to date, see http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWCRWN  it could be the distance from exchange, try here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php, put in your new number and postcode,
I think its a close snap
itsme
Grafter

Aside: SamKnows has my exchange going ADSL2+ on 31/5/09 on been on the ADSl2+ trial since 27/4/09. So it's true you can't believe what you read.  Cheesy
Annie
Rising Star

Having tried the link you have suggested I have the following info for my number and postcode:-
BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Crownhill telephone exchange.
ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 1Mbps or greater ADSL connection.
Standard ADSL RAG results
You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 512kbps ADSL
(Engineer visit likely)
You may be able to receive 256kbps ADSL
(Engineer visit likely)
You are approximately 2.92km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

and....
BT 21st Century Network (21CN) rollout
You are connected to the Crownhill telephone exchange.
Wholesale Broadband Connect is available in your area
There is currently no 21CN migration date for your PSTN service
....I must admit that I'm finding this very confusing. I don't know what ADSL RAG is and whether I need it but it says I can't get 2Mbps. Do I take it that because it says ADSL Max, then this is the faster speeds? Sorry to be so thick. My brain has gone fuzzy - house move is tomorrow.
Annie
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try the Kitz one, the figure you want is the DSL one  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Annie
....I must admit that I'm finding this very confusing. I don't know what ADSL RAG is and whether I need it but it says I can't get 2Mbps. Do I take it that because it says ADSL Max, then this is the faster speeds? Sorry to be so thick. My brain has gone fuzzy - house move is tomorrow.

RAG is an acronym for Red Amber Green I believe. It was originally used with the fixed rate products to determine whether or not BT would provision a customer at a certain speed.
Given the results from the database checks you've done you're probably looking at around 2Mbps even on Max. In all fairness though, you're not really going to know for sure until you get your kit plugged in at the new address and are able to check your line stats.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Annie
Rising Star

The house move has happened and I got online today. My last exchange gave me speeds much higher than I now have....
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Today 17:37 1722 kbps (215kB/s) 382 kbps (47.8kB/s)
Jun 4, 17:26 6722 kbps (840kB/s) 363 kbps (45.4kB/s)
http://speedtester.bt.com
Today
Your DSL connection rate: 1472 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1205 kbps
Firstly, is there anything that can be done about the speed? It feels like quite a backwards step. I lived at this house before, 4 years ago and nothing has progressed since, it would seem.
Secondly, I am on a legacy product - PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 with included 15GB bandwidth - I stayed on this product because performance was important to me. I'm not a particularly heavy user - mainly email and surfing. In the past, I have looked at the charts about how traffic is prioritized but I must admit, I get a bit confused. Am I getting anything better staying on Option 2 than I would get if I moved to a newer product?
There are two more factors to take into account. I intend to start using the VOIP phone soon so the 2 hours of free calls will be useful. I also make use of the fax2email facility and I'm not sure whether I can keep these if I change products.
Annie
James
Grafter

Hi Annie,
It sounds like you're further from the exchange than you used to be.  Unfortunately, there's not too much we can do about that until we're able to offer a fibre service.
Regarding the new products - It depends on what you use the internet for.  If you're just talking about web browsing, email and some streaming, Value is probably about right!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Quote from: Annie
There are two more factors to take into account. I intend to start using the VOIP phone soon so the 2 hours of free calls will be useful. I also make use of the fax2email facility and I'm not sure whether I can keep these if I change products.

Hi Annie,
You can keep your 'extras' if you moved on to the newer products as an existing customer.
I kept my VoIP minutes when I moved from Premier to Unlimited as well as my webspace.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks adiewoo. How did you ensure that you kept your VOIP minutes? Did you phone through to make the upgrade or is there a box to complete whilst doing this online? Also, do you pay extra for this now or is it included in your subscription just the same?
Annie
dvorak

Jameseh kept an eye on it for me to make sure it went smoothly, I don't pay extra for it - it's just included in my subscription.
I think they are kept my default if you switch product, but that might need to be confirmed.
Customer / Moderator
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont you have to be using the facility before you change products?  i.e start using VOIP then change
Also Crownhill is a Market 3 exchange so the cost for value would be £5.99 per month with 10G traffic
dvorak

Think Annie already is using the VoIP service see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75681.0.html
Customer / Moderator
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yup, I never read the Broadband phone section  Cool Cool