Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move query

sammieblue
Grafter

House move query

Hi
I am currently living in a rented house where I get my Plusnet broadband & home phone service.
If all goes well another tenant will be taking over the property I am currently living in & my fiance & I will be moving & renting a nearby property recently purchased by his parents.
However, while the property has a phone line the bt box that is inside the house is damaged.
My fiance's father has contacted BT who told him its for the ISP to take care of.
Is this correct?
Obviously Plusnet are not going to want to arrange for it to be fixed if I'm not even certain if I will be taking the property so I really don't know how to proceed?
Is it possible for the maintenace to be arranged (& paid for if neccesary) as it will need to be fixed regardless of who rents the property?
Hope this makes sense...
Thank you for any help & advice
Sam
43 REPLIES 43
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: House move query

HI sammieblue,
If you're not taking your service with you then we will treat this as a new provision. If we detect a working/stopped line at the property this will be activated free of charge but if any work needs to be done to get the line working a standard installation charge of £49.99 would apply.
Jojo Smiley
sammieblue
Grafter

Hi Joanne, thanks for your reply.
I would need to take my service with me though to avoid paying the cancellation fees etc wouldn't I?
I think I have around 5 months left on my contract
Which would mean its best to take the service with me so I don't have to pay off the contract?
Sorry I'm so confused with how it all works
I already moved once within my 12 month contract (which plusnet pay for if i remain with plusnet for another 12 months from the date i moved i think?)
So i think i would have to pay for this 2nd house move or payout the remainder of my contract
is this correct?
Thanks again
Sam
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Sam,
Yes, if you have had one house move then you would have to pay for this one, which is probably a lot less costly and time consuming as the cancellation option.
Jojo Smiley
sammieblue
Grafter

Thanks Joanne that helps clear up the confusion in my head
Whether I move in to the property or not, maintenance needs to be carried out on the connection inside the property
In your opinion is it likely that my fiance's father will be able to pay BT to carry out the maintenance in the property before any decision over which ISP to use is made?
If we were to move in there we would carry our service over but are aware that the fault would take time to get fixed and we would be without internet for a while so would prefer to have the fault fixed before anyone moves in. 
Thank you for your help and patience
Sam
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Sam,
I'm not 100% sure but you'd probably have to get BT to install the line for them to do the work and then you would be in contract with them. If you give us enough notice then any wiring issues at the property will be taken care of when we install it for you.
Jojo Smiley
sammieblue
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
Good news, we have managed to find a new tenant for our property & so are now able to move into our new house.
However, the tenant wants to move in asap & the changeover will be happening this weekend.
Would it be possible to get the ball rolling on this for us Joanne?
I have opened a question which gives the new address of the new property.
I am sorry for the very short notice, the prospective tenant has only just viewed the property & is doing the paperwork today.
We are aware that due to the short notice we will be without internet for a little while but would like to have the process started today
Thanks again
Sam
sammieblue
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
Not to worry we just rang & they are putting it through for us.
They said that they could put us on adsl2 so that we can get up 17mb rather than the 7.5 we are limited to now.
However, as we are moving only minutes from where we currently live & so will be on the same exchange, is it possible for you to confirm that we will be placed on ADSL 2 & ensure that this occurs?
Also we were told on the phone that an engineer would be needed to activate the line at the new property, as this means we are unlikely to have access to the internet for quite a chunk of this month can you tell us what will happen in regards to the bill for February? Will we receive a refund if we are without internet for a week in February?
Sorry to throw it all at you at once
Thanks again
Sam
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sam,
If they said they could put you on ADSL2+ then they would have had to check the exchange first. As for a refund, it's not done automatically and will be applied as a credit, but the billing continues as normal. Once your new service is working then you just need to raise a ticket and advise how long you've been without service.
Jojo Smiley
sammieblue
Grafter

Thats great thanks Joanne  Smiley
sammieblue
Grafter

Hi Joanne
I moved out of the property on Saturday and Plusnet said that my internet & phone would be stopped on Monday.
However, I have had no confirmation of this.
Could you confirm it for me please?
Thanks
Sam
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sammieblue,
The account stays in an active state but the services will have been terminated at your old property. I've just checked and there has been no internet usage since the 5th and no phone calls since the 4th.
Jojo Smiley
sammieblue
Grafter

thanks joanne
the tenants who have taken over the property are spanish students at my uni and willl be staying for 6 months.
i have referred them to plusnet and they want the no contract option
however when they attempted to order they found they could not as my phone line is still active
am i correct in thinking that when the bt engineer visits tomorrow and completes our house changeover their order will be able to go through?
also do they get any particular discount if i am able to refer them? i am unsure how it all works
thanks very much
sam
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sam,
yes, once yours goes active the other one will cease. We do have a referral offer at the moment. Have a look here.
Jojo Smiley
sammieblue
Grafter

thanks jojo
i just spoke to the new tenant and he said that he told plusnet on the phone that i referred him but he is unsure whether the employee understood him fully.
the referal is not present on my account either
i have raised a question giving his username
could you have a look for me please?
sorry for all the bother
thanks
sam