Did you mean: 

Hotmail bouncing Plusnet emails

stonechat
Grafter

Hotmail bouncing Plusnet emails

Hi
I am unable to send an email to a Hotmail address, it bounces
If I use Gmail it is OK
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
  abc@hotmail.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<bob@xyz.plus.com> SIZE=6825:
    host mx3.hotmail.com [65.54.244.72]: 550 SC-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery information and support
Has plusnet been blacklisted by Hotmail?
Bob
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Hotmail bouncing Plusnet emails

I'll get this flagged up to our networks team to see what we can do.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've just had this problem sending to a hotmail address and the same reasons quoted. I'll post the headers if required.
Paul
Be3G
Grafter

Sending e-mails to Hotmail addresses from PlusNet accounts has always been temperamental. A couple of years ago I had an issue whereby any I sent to Hotmail addresses disappeared without a trace (without any kind of notification), unless the e-mail was a reply to an e-mail sent from that Hotmail address. Hotmail support told me it was an issue with sending e-mails from Apple's Mail application, but I never was convinced... that problem could still be happening for all I know - I just gave up sending e-mails to Hotmail accounts so I've not known if the problem ever was resolved.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I had a problem a while back with two destinations, one hotmail one not.
If I relayed through PN the hotmail bounced back but not the non hotmail destination.
If I sent direct the reverse happened.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
adheelios
Grafter

hey guys, just thought I would let you know that our networks team are looking into this, basically it seems to be affecting some of our relay servers, but sending from webmail (webmail.plus.net) to hotmail addresses work fine.
more details to follow, but it's in hand so will hopefully be sorted sooner rather then later!  Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Wheel_nut
Grafter

If you take a look at the Newnet forum on TBB, you will see that there is a similar problem being reported there. The common factor is Hotmail.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

As Adheel has mentioned, we've an internal problem open to address this (ref:54068). At some point over the weekend there have also been issues reported sending to Yahoo! AT&T and Comcast.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Aniseed

I've been having this problem today. I've just successfully emailed a hotmail account using webmail, though, so thanks for the tip. Hope this gets sorted out soon.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just updated the service status posting about this:
This is an update to the previously reported problems sending emails to Hotmail addresses, these were occassionally resulting in bounce error messages.
We have performed some maintenance across our mail platform and contacted Hotmail to request removal from their blacklist. This should come into effect in the next 48 hours.
Sending emails via our webmail service remains unaffected and should be available as normal.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. Further details will be provided as they become available.
Kind Regards,
Chris Parr
Customer Support
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This should no longer be a problem so please shout up if you're still having issues...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

driveconsultant
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
This should no longer be a problem so please shout up if you're still having issues...

I'm having issues. It seems that the blocking of PN's mail servers went wider than Hotmail, and some brain-dead servers are refusing mails on the grounds that the addresses were previously blocked. See the following message which was part of a bounce message:
    SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    host cdptpa-smtpin01.mail.rr.com [75.180.132.243]:
    554 5.7.1 - ERROR: Mail refused - <212.159.14.145> - See http://security.rr.com/cgi-bin/block-lookup?212.159.14.145
I retried the message a few times and had a similar message for other mail server addresses:  212.159.14.147 and 212.159.14.148.
Any ideas what to do about this?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'll chase this up tomorrow. Give this thread a bump early afternoon if you've not heard anything.
Edit: We've requested removal. According to the information here we're looking at 6-10 hours before the request is honoured.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team