cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail blocking us?

Azagoth
Grafter

Re: Hotmail blocking us?

The following message to <**********@hotmail.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'SC-004 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, we recommend enrolling in our Junk E-Mail Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove unwanted recipients from their e-mail list: http://postmaster.live.com'

Reporting-MTA: dns; relay.ptn-ipout01.plus.net
Final-Recipient:**********@hotmail.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [65.55.92.152]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'SC-004 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, we recommend enrolling in our Junk E-Mail Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove unwanted recipients from their e-mail list: http://postmaster.live.com'; (delivery attempts: 0)

So, is this any closer to being remedied yet?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Azagoth,
From what I understand we'd contacted Hotmail and they were going to remove us from their list. When that happens is a different matter unfortunately.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Stewie
Grafter

Well its 21:05 and still getting bounced by hotContempt. Angry
It maybe time for us trivial plusnet users to register with a backup mail account provider (not one that gets your backup),  maybe..
https://secure.freeola.com/myfreeola/signup-new-email.php?error=unavail&al=&domain=
http://www.topmail.co.uk/signup.html
http://signup.uk-internet-access.co.uk/
and in particular to recommend our hot**** friends find another provider. Make sure they know how bad their service is.
After all  - since we are so trivial we wouldn't use these providers for anything important that could make us vulnerable - would we.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Stewie

and in particular to recommend our hot**** friends find another provider. Make sure they know how bad their service is.

There is nothing wrong with the service that hotmail provide, I've had an account with them for some time and they seem to be more relaible than PN mail. Only PN customers seem to have problems sending to my account, so I think that says it all
scootie
Grafter

yeah but its hotmail's systems that have blocked plusnet email's. so unless  there has been insane amounts of spam coming from PN servers then hotmail needs to sort out its black list system
Stewie
Grafter

Quote from: paulgul
There is nothing wrong with the service that hotmail provide

Grin Grin Grin
iainmackay
Dabbler

For me the issue is not so much "Whose fault?" as the extraordinary length of time Hotmail is claiming it needs to unblock the whole of PlusNet.  Clearly this Priority Problem isn't seen as a priority by them! 
Once a problem had been identified, I'd expect to detect some sense of urgency on their side that seems, at present, to be absent.
Angry
mal0z
Grafter

To me it is Hotmail that is the common factor - I've seen this very same problem with other ISP's.
If I was asked to recommend a reliable email host - the last place I would recommend is Hotmail. as I've had numerous friends who have used them and had numerous problems.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hotmail certainly need to get their act together, as a Hotmail user I sent them a complaint yesterday to which I've had no response, surprise surprise.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Stewie
whilst we do put a stop to spam outbreaks ...

I hope you terminate the account of the genuine offenders - this issue has wasted my time and caused problems. I am very annoyed about it.

What if a customer's account was compromised at no fault of their own? What if they have innocently been infected by a virus? Don't you think cancelling their account is a little harsh under those circumstances?
I eventually came across the service report which at least meant it is not personal, but why must it take so long for hotmail to fix it.  Angry

A question for Hotmail methinks.
An email from plusnet on this topic would have helped - but I guess if every issue generated an email they'd end up being ignored.

You can subscribe to email updates here (there's a link to our RSS and Twitter feeds in my sig too).
The reason the block wasn't lifted when the Service Status announcement said it would be is mainly my fault for confusing PST and BST. It should have been lifted at about 11.00pm last night. I've just sent a test email to my Hotmail account via the relays and it got through.
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0xO0Q9MTtTQ0w9Mw==
X-Message-Status: n:0
X-SID-PRA: Bob Pullen <privacy@plus.net>
X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jGDzSVLzshZv47R1x4GczklHG5CFt98yZKesGF4aeq31aTc73My9y2PYI5CisaT2fCUTrs3Jg2QqStZeIz434tn
Received: from relay.pcl-ipout01.plus.net ([212.159.7.99]) by col0-mc1-f23.Col0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Mon, 4 May 2009 23:59:03 -0700
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: ApsEAAuB/0nUnw6R/2dsb2JhbACQL74hg30F
Received: from ptb-relay01.plus.net ([212.159.14.145])
  by relay.pcl-ipout01.plus.net with ESMTP; 05 May 2009 07:59:02 +0100
Received: from [84.93.217.90]
by ptb-relay01.plus.net with esmtpa (Exim) id 1M1EcI-0002v1-IQ
for *********@hotmail.co.uk; Tue, 05 May 2009 07:59:02 +0100
Message-ID: <49FFE34B.1050104@plus.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 07:57:15 +0100
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 (Windows/20090302)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: *********@hotmail.co.uk
Subject: Test
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Plusnet-Relay: 15a22df4c95b38f22f8f08fcfcfef94e
Return-Path: privacy@plus.net
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 05 May 2009 06:59:03.0947 (UTC) FILETIME=[F9D615B0:01C9CD4E]

Can people shout up if they're still having problems please?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

brooke43

I have a list of addresses, one third of which are Hotmail users. I often sent a 'blanket' message to all addressees and all those with Hotmail addresses bounce back.
Why should I open a new mail provider just because Plusnet cannot come to some agreement with Hotmail?
It would appear that one recourse is to change ISPs to someone who doesn't have these problems with other mail servers.
Brooke43
niggle09

This seems to be a recurrent PlusNet issue. I have had similar problems with emails from PN to both Comcast and BellSouth in the past.
Googlemail to the rescue.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: brooke43
I have a list of addresses, one third of which are Hotmail users. I often sent a 'blanket' message to all addressees and all those with Hotmail addresses bounce back.

Is this still happening because we're of the opinion that the problem should now be fixed?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Stewie
Grafter

What if they have innocently been infected by a virus? Don't you think cancelling their account is a little harsh under those circumstances?

What do you suppose I meant by 'genuine offenders' ?

brooke43

I have this morning sent an EMail to all my Hotmail addressees, and so far, nothing has come bacck.  Hope it is now settled.
Brooke43.