Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible lag spikes

TheOliBaguette
Grafter

Horrible lag spikes

Hi,
I joined Plusnet about 2 months ago, and in many ways i am impressed. The general speed of internet surfing is considerably faster and my download speed is very good now  Smiley
However, for online gaming, it has been the worst two months of my life. When i'm not spiking, i usually get ping of about 50 on EU servers which i am happy with, but i get horrible spikes at least 3 times a minute and they last for about 3-10 seconds, bringing my ping up to as high as 2000.
I cannot put into words how frustrating this is. Please help. I have already tried changing the channel to every possible value, but it only makes the problem worse. I am using a wired ethernet connection on a 2704N Sagemcom router.
Strangely, whenever i do speed tests, it says my ping is about 30, which would be heaven if it were true all the time.
Yes, it happens on ALL online games.
I have tried talking to staff on the web chat and they told me to ring up customer service
I have rung up customer service and all they could tell me was to come here.
Please help.
57 REPLIES 57
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

Re: Horrible lag spikes

I think the problem is with my brother's macbook computer. He was away for the last two days and he brought his laptop away with him, and it was perfectly fine then. However, when he came back today i started getting the horrible lag spikes again.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I am having lag issues on CoD on the Xbox one has been a nightmare it was terrible for a while but tonight hasn't been to bad.  I hope it stays sorted for you 🙂
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

Is anyone going to help me with this or am I going to be left to sort it out by myself? The help you have provided so far has been completely beyond terrible. Are you completely ignoring this post or are you actually going to do something about it?
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

The forum is not normally staffed by members of the PlusNet CRT team at weekends, so you need to hope that a member has some knowledge of potential problems caused by Macbooks and is prepared to offer advice.
It could just be that your brother is saturating the connection when he is using it with inevitable consequences for you.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: JayG
It could just be that your brother is saturating the connection when he is using it with inevitable consequences for you.

this. if your connection is fine without him on it then it's like to be something that he's running - either file sharing apps or he's uploading stuff.
IPv6 being enabled on the macbook has caused issues in the past, but that would generally cause issues on the macbook or kill the internet connection entirely.
your scenario doesn't seem to fit into these categories.
have you asked your brother what he's up to?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

I asked him, he said he doesn't ever use file sharing programs. I now know 100% that it is his mac causing the problem- I was home alone just now, getting about 40-60 ping, which i'm happy with, the moment he comes home and connects his mac I never get below 600.
dick:quote
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

Just did a speedtest, and the ping was 35, the download speed 7 mbps. This download speed is great for me, and this ping is also incredibly good, but my brother is currently using his mac and i'm getting 700 ping when trying to game.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Do you have another router you could try, perhaps re-configure the one you used with your previous ISP?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Which speedtester are you using TheOliBaguette? Most aren't renowned for ping accuracy. If you know how to open a cmd prompt window, try the command   ping ntp.plus.net.
Apart from ejs' suggestion, log into the 2704n and have a look at the Helpdesk tab, line 12, Data sent/received.  Check it just before your brother starts using his Mac and then a few minutes later.  That will give you an idea of what his Mac is Uploading and Downloading.
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

I no longer have the old router. We have an Internet pairing thing into our second building which we let. Could it be that there are just too many devices connected? I have noticed that it is not only the Mac that causes the spikes; I also get them randomly. What can I do?
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

I also submitted a fault at faults.plus.net and they said there have actually been very little disconnection between them and our router. I suppose this means it's definitely the router?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try this speedtest - http://speedtest.dslreports.com/, and click the [DSL] tab to start the test.
What 'grading' does that give you for 'BufferBloat' and 'Quality'.
If either 'grading' is worse than 'C', then your really need to sort that out first,
and obviously the closer you can get to 'A', all the better for lag free gaming.
What UPLOAD speed result do you get ?
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

BufferBloat: didn't give me a grade, just said " - ". Probably because i was getting 1400 idle latency.
Quality: A
Speed: D
Upload speed: 118 kilobits per second
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

How do I fix this?