cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Download speeds on STEAM!!

aceadam

Horrible Download speeds on STEAM!!

Well i can download on megaupload at my full 20MB connection but on steam its about 2MBs! as in 256kbs! please helpe me!!
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Horrible Download speeds on STEAM!!

Hi there,
It's because it's classed as gaming traffic, so is shaped to 2Mb/s at all times as per http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_unlimited_archive.shtml
If you could schedule some of your downloads for out of hours it might be worth moving onto our Extra product, as that would allow you to add the Pro add-on - this would give you line speed on all protocols.
Hope that helps,
aceadam

Just thought id share the complaint i have made.
Hi,
I recently switched from the Plsunet Extra to Plusnet Unlimited as I was always hitting the Cap download limit ( downloading games such as WoW which is 25GB itself), and games through steam) I rang up asked to be switched but they offered me the Plusnet Unlimited i was like great that's will do me fine. Later on did i realise that they cap downloads on "Gaming" which is the reason I stated and the main reason why i switched as i buy games from Steam (a Gaming client) I am now stuck waiting for Modern Warfare 3 to download at a ridiculous speed of 256Kbs.. So ill switch back to extra. Leave the service and tell everyone my experiences.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: aceadam
So ill switch back to extra. Leave the service and tell everyone my experiences.

HI, that's a shame. Is it not worth considering what Matt suggested.
Jojo Smiley
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Thats the reason for the unlimited package, no monthly download bandwidth caps if using your connection 8am-12am.  But if you chose to go back to Pro your download Speed will be higher but also count towards your monthly cap.  I have 60GB per month and even with that I have to do 12am-8am downloads for game updates etc..
So either no monthly download caps or capped, your choice, there is no "have the cake and eat it all" anymore.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November