cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honest Broadband, don't make me laugh

JamesM
Grafter

Honest Broadband, don't make me laugh

When I was first switched to 21CN I got a Thomson router, this gave me pings of 999, which made it impossible to play,  PN said they couldn't find a problem, so I bought new cables, filters, and rewired my connection a few times trying to make it better. PN sent me three Thomson replacements, all which gave a ping of 999. In the end I bought a Belkin router and the problems disappeared.
Then after a while no matter what my sync was, my speed stayed at 7.9 Mb/s, I said my line had been banded, I was told it wasn't and that my line was Ok as no problems could be found. So I bought a 10 metre CAT 6 cable, new ADSL cable, new filters, rewired my connection, then an internal memo made it onto my fault page saying that customers line will never be faster as the line has been banded.
2 times interleaving has been turned on and my upload capped, nobody from PN knew why, and the first time this happened it was months before anything could be done because there was an open order on my line and nobody from PN knew what it was for, and this had to be cleared before interleaving could be turned off.
When my line was banded, PN sent me a technicolour router to see if that made my 7.9 speed any faster (err,,,,it didn't as my line was banded), I ended up giving the router to my Mum, my mum lives in a bungalow with a dorma where her computer and router is. I bought my Mum a smart TV but the wireless is so pathetic on the technicolour that unless I put the router halfway down the stairs the TV won't pick up the signal.
It is so frustrating when you get a few good nights gaming, then all of a sudden you get a week of trouble, and the way PN keep on saying it isn't there fault, leads people to believe it is their own equipment's fault. I have spent quite a bit on new equipment and looking through these forums it seems a few people have spent money on trying to make their connection better when it probably isn't under their control in the first place. Since this last stuff up that PN caused, when I am gaming everything seems to be slightly behind, I am dead before I see who shot me, I can't hit anything, and when I do kill an enemy, I am not even aiming straight at them.
I can't understand why a profile nudge can switch on interleaving and cap my upload, I can't understand how it can cause my connection to go so bad. Then again neither can Plusnet or it would be fixed by now.
I would like to ask people who have switched from BT to Plusnet if it was because of problems with BT or because of the cheaper Plusnet service. I have been with Free-online since 98 and PN since they took over Free-online, so I don't know any other way. The thing that scares me is that all the ISP's are just as bad as each other, so as they say, better the devil you know.
17 REPLIES 17
stewartk80
Dabbler

Re: Honest Broadband, don't make me laugh

i`ve change due to the price and i`m having problems
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115216.0.html
JamesM
Grafter

Yes, I can understand your frustration stewartk80, my sister lives 3 doors away and her line comes from the same telegraph pole which is opposite my house, so I am closer by 3 houses. When my sister was with BT she was getting a sync of around 16000 and a D/L speed of around 14 to 15 Mb/s.  I am getting a sync of around 12500 and a D/L speed of around 11.
My sister recently switched to SKY BB and Telephone, now her sync speed is around 13000 and D/L speed of around 11Mb/s. The BT router must be a wonderful piece of kit is all I can say.
There are a lot of factors at play which could determine your speed stewartk80, but I will leave that explanation for people to write in your thread mate.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Coming off the same telegraph pole does not mean a great deal.  Your circuits could be on different risers - my pole has 3, two are copper, one is aluminium.  There could be more than one E-Side trunk to the cabinet - mine has two trunks, one rated 36dB, the other 47dB.  If you want to make comparisons, you need to know the line characterises, particularly the attenuation - one iffy joint can make a marked difference... without being considered by BTOR to be an actual fault.
Synch speed is totally within the gift of BTOR, not PN.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

There could be more than one E-Side trunk to the cabinet

Mine has 3 plus the fibre. When I was still on ADSL I had a fault between the cabinet & my house which BT traced & fixed. They also transferred me from the "cr*p" line (the BT engineer's words, not mine) to the best one. My speed more than doubled.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: townman

Synch speed is totally within the gift of BTOR, not PN.

The sad thing is, even some BT technicians do not understand that. I had two here this week who insisted my slow upstream sync is all plusnets fault.
I despair with BT. Sad
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: JamesM
Yes, I can understand your frustration stewartk80, my sister lives 3 doors away and her line comes from the same telegraph pole which is opposite my house, so I am closer by 3 houses. When my sister was with BT she was getting a sync of around 16000 and a D/L speed of around 14 to 15 Mb/s.  I am getting a sync of around 12500 and a D/L speed of around 11.

My nexxt door neighbour gets around 30Mb download speeds from her FTTC, she has been told she can't get much more.
I get 68-72Mb without a problem.
The guy opposite me struggled to get a 2Mb ADSL connection and next door managed 3.5Mb while I got between 5Mb and 6Mb.
It can vary wildly.
JamesM
Grafter

This has nothing to do with what speed I am getting, what speed my sister was getting, how many risers come off the pole, what speed my next door neighbour gets, I don't care about the speed, read the opening statement and just keep on topic.
njay
Grafter

Indeed.
My ADSL due to the 4miles from the exchange was still a respectable 4Mb sync at 61db. As my FTTC speed is exceptional it just goes to show the line from the cabinet is tip top.....

....at the moment lol

As I can't get virgin as you can see the access points in the pavement miss mine and the next door neighbours houses as it goes across the street to service the houses opposite and then into a cul -de sac before coming back out and going further up my street so the 2yr wait (delayed by a year each time the estimated date got close) for FTTC has been worth it.
I appreciate and feel sorry for you guys/gals that have faired badly by BTOR as even exercising the 25% reduction ruling just means you get to escape out of your current contract to go where....another ISP who will yield identicle estimate from BTOR which doesn't hit the mark in reality.
Its frankly rediculous that there is no means to get BTOR to put their money where there estimates are sort the issues out.

OK seeing as you've changed an earlier posts because you didn't like the answers to statements in that post I will answer your original question
I would like to ask people who have switched from BT to Plusnet if it was because of problems with BT or because of the cheaper Plusnet service. I have been with" Free-online since 98 and PN since they took over Free-online, so I don't know any other way. The thing that scares me is that all the ISP's are just as bad as each other, so as they say, better the devil you know"

I moved to plusnet because they offered a good service at a reasonable price. I have been with them I believe 10yrs now and they have never let me down, even when problems have occurred
Happy now Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Yes mate, I am ecstatic.
and while I am having a moan, everytime I post I have to copy my post so I can paste it because I keep getting time outs.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Web timeouts?
Sounds like you still have a fault to me, or something wrong with your equipment.  I'll get your stuff checked over again.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This has nothing to do with what speed I am getting, what speed my sister was getting, how many risers come off the pole, what speed my next door neighbour gets, I don't care about the speed, read the opening statement and just keep on topic.

James,
You raised the point in post #2...
... my sister lives 3 doors away and her line comes from the same telegraph pole which is opposite my house, so I am closer by 3 houses. When my sister was with BT she was getting a sync of around 16000 and a D/L speed of around 14 to 15 Mb/s.  I am getting a sync of around 12500 and a D/L speed of around 11.
My sister recently switched to SKY BB and Telephone, now her sync speed is around 13000 and D/L speed of around 11Mb/s. The BT router must be a wonderful piece of kit is all I can say.

If anyone took this thread off (what you think is the) topic it was you.  There is no need for your rudeness.
People here are simply trying to offer help and illumination.  Your post suggested an expectation that all lines off the same telegraph pole ought to behave the same.  Whilst this might be an understandable expectation it is not likely to be fulfilled for the reasons stated.  Even if you knew that, others reading your post will not be aware of this.  The purpose of the forums is to help those with problems and share knowledge with readers in general.  Rants (such as your title) are not helpful.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JamesM
Grafter

or something wrong with your equipment

Ha Ha Ha, good one Kelly  Grin
No mate I have just logged in to type this and it was hanging for 3 minutes with the circle spinning in the title bar, while it was hanging I opened up about 15 other webpages which all opened very quickly, it is just the PN site I am having problems with.
JamesM
Grafter

townman, I appreciate all the help I have had in the past in these forums, but the only reason I put my second post was for stewartk80 and to say I understood his frustration, I could have gone on and said all the things that could be be causing his drop in speed since switching to PN but I chose not to as that needs to be written in his thread.
My attenuation was 29, my sync was 11000 and my D/L speed was under 10Mb/s for over a year, then a BT engineer switched me over to a faster line at the exchange and now my attenuation is 28, sync 12500 and D/L speed 11Mb/s. So I do know there are a lot of factors that determine a certain persons achieveable speed, but that is not what my thread is about.
I appologise if you thought I was being rude, but too many times the point of threads become watered down and lost due to people posting on threads with no opinion of the starting post.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi James,
Thank you, I think that is a clearer and more positive way of putting things, certainly a perspective I understand better.
I understand frustration as I've been through the mill for near on 6 months with multiple BTOR visits, several D-Side and E-Side changes and there is only marginal improvement.  The business line remains performing under expectations for 50dB attenuation.  PN have done a sterling job in trying to fix it, but half of the time the BTOR bods do not have the job notes / request raised by PN.  If the line tests 'green' they try to walk away.  To cap that, the residential circuit is also playing up now.  My guess is PN (and other ISPs) are struggling because BTOR is significantly under resource / skilled.
Hope your issue is soon resolved.
Cheers,
Kevin