cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home network

steamgod

Home network

Just transferred from virgin to plusnet, I have a hard wired network for streaming audio but I now cannot see my music nas on the network.

Any ideas

7 REPLIES 7
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Home network

Is your NAS using DHCP? Or does it have an internal IP configured manually?

Sounds like it may not be on the same subnet. I know Virgin use 192.168.0.x, so if that device is on there and presumably your router is using 192.168.1.x, then it won't see it. You will need to get the music to use DHCP or change the range.

steamgod

I also lost access to the nas so set it to reset OS which I hope will reset every thing but will take a while.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Assuming your NAS was on the 192.168.0.x subnet, if you manually set your PC to an address on the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.55) you would have been able to access the NAS to change it's IP address to the correct subnet (you wouldn't have been able to access anything else while you were using the change IP on the PC and would lose access to the NAS when you changed it's IP). Then set the PC back to automatic and you'd be able to access everything including the NAS.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Alex
Community Veteran

Yes as @jelv says, if your device was working fine on Virgin, (which from the OP's post sounds like it was), then try putting your PC temporaily onto a 192.168.0. something address, (55 is good) wtih a 255.255.255.0 subnet and see if you can access the device.

If you can then access the device you'll need to change it to 192.168.1 something in the config. I would go low and make sure it outside of the DHCP range.

I manually set my router range to be something like above 192.168.1.20 so I know anything I set less there won't be an IP clash.

The only thing I set a static internal IP too is my network colour laser to 192.168.1.4 as if it changes I don't fancy messing around with the drivers.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

This illustrates well the risks where some devices have hard coded IP addresses.  If it is essential that devices have fixed IP addresses, this should be achieved by using DHCP address reservations - not by hard coding them into devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

I've not tried that @Townman, presumably you say to the router for a device with this MAC address always give it this IP on DHCP?

I'm guessing and haven't looked it up.

I did the more lazy approach Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Alex,

In a word - yes.

Different routers have different ways of doing this.  On the PN routers, under advance settings, you can get a list of devices connected (that is a real niggle with these routers*) and clicking on the details allows you to assign a fixed IP address - either the one it has 'now' or one of your choice.

Note that if you select a different address, the device needs to be forced to renew its lease, either via an admin interface or by restarting it.

I would not call your approach lazy (you did have to do the planning) rather just not the most idea approach of a number of pragmatic alternatives.

* With PN (BT cruddy) routers, you cannot see the DHCP address reservations unless the device having the reserved address is actually connected.  Therefore (in my experience) if there is a device which has an address reservation which you no longer have access to (is broken / has been replaced / has had its NIC replaced) then there is no way of accessing the reservation entry to either remove it or change the associated MAC address.  Other routers generally fair much better in that area of configuration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.