Home network problems

OZ
Grafter

Home network problems

This is my setup:
Technicolour router
Ethernet 1: PC
Ethernet 2: PS3
Ethernet 3: Ethernet cable connected to Netgear Switch --> Dad's Laptop in his office, and ethernet cables to the laser printer.
Cannot access any internet on the laptop or any devices on 'Ethernet 3'.
Previous provider was Sky broadband - everything worked fine with their router.
Help? Nothing wrong with the cables. We've used the same cables for eons.
19 REPLIES 19
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Home network problems

Hi,
Can you confirm that all the devices on port 3 are using DHCP to obtain their network addresses, rather than being 'hard' coded?  I would guess that your previous setup used a different subnet address range (192.168.0.x) compared to that used by the TG router (192.168.1.x) and those devices have been configured with fixed addresses.  Therefore they will not be able to connect to anything other than each other.  A good test to confirm this is will the laptop connect to the printer?
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Check DHCP/Network addresses as townman says.
If that's not the problem then:-
Is the Netgear just a switch ? What model is it ?
Have you tried the PC or PS3 in port 3 to check if the port works ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OZ
Grafter

The PS3/PC work on port 3.
Yes, I think the Sky router was on 192.168.0.1
What do I do?
This is the switch:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/wired-networking/netgear-fs605-5-port-fast-ether...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

That should be fine , did you check that all the devices connected via the switch are using DHCP as townman said  ?

OZ
Grafter

How do I do that?
NedLudd
Grafter

I have one of those switches. They are completely dumb and require no set up at all!
Sounds to me like the other devices are looking for the old 'Gateway' and should be set to 'Auto' or to the IP address of the new router!
Geoff,
York.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
NedLudd
Grafter

OP has a Netgear switch, not a Netgear Router!  Roll_eyes
Geoff,
York.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are using Windows 7 follow this guide: http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_windows7.shtml
At step 6 make sure that you select both of the automatic settings for the IP address and the DNS server address.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
OZ
Grafter

Thanks jelv. That did the trick.
OZ
Grafter

Well... now none of the printers that are connected to the switch work. What gives?
Help?
Also, I'm getting random connection drops. For the past 30 mins, I had no internet!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

How are the addresses set in the printers?
If these are 'hard coded' they will need to be change as well to the new subnet.  Also you'll need to change the printer configurations in the PCs, as they'll be looking for printers on the wrong IP printer port.
HTH,
Kevin

OZ
Grafter

Thank you. That worked.
I accessed the printer's IP setting page on the printer itself. IP was set at 192.168.0.12, which I altered to 192.168.1.12
Went to laptop, went to printer control panel, selected the printer, went to properties, changed printer IP from ...0.12 to .,,1.12
Works now. That's all I needed to do, correct?
I take it this problem occurred because my previous router IP was 192.168.0.1, and this one (Technicolor) is 192.168.1.254?
If I buy my own router (I am planning to purchase the Asus N66), would the IP address need to be 192.168.1.254 as well? How would I install that new router without messing up my existing network?
I will also need to route a secondary router from that router.
So, like this:
BT Open reach --> Asus N66 --> Ethernet cable --> Router 2 --> PC, PS3
                                              --> Ethernet cable 2 --> Netgear Switch --> Laptop, Printer, Scanner
When I was with Sky, they told me I simply had to wire the two routers, and disable DHCP on the secondary router. Now I've done that, but what IP address do I need on that secondary router?
Apologies for bombarding you all with these questions, but I am very much a complete and utter novice when it comes to home networking.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OZ,
Good to hear that you've got a resolution to you problems.
In general it is not a good approach to mix DHCP address allocation with hard coded addresses.  They should all be hard coded or all DHCP allocated.  DHCP is ideal; if you need a fixed address, for example for a printer, then you need to tell DHCP to reserve / keep the address for that device.  Different routers do this in different ways.  Different routers have different sub net configurations.  Some set the router address to be .1 others .2542 - so there are at least 4 potential configurations.
What problem are you trying to fix with the nu66?  This is a complicated approach.  Note (if my memory is correct) the ASUS products do not support simultaneous use of 2.4 & 5 MHz bands.
If this is just a matter of reach and the PC is Ethernet connected, either a simple hub would suffice or consider Ethernet over power adapters.
Cheers,
Kevin