cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Wiring Solution

simonhiggs
Grafter

Home Wiring Solution

First post here, so I hope I've posted in the right place!
Just had a call from a helpful chap at Plusnet confirming my fibre installation date. I had asked a Home Wiring Solution to be specified with the Openreach order so the engineer would move my master socket. I was told that it 's only possible to order a Data Extension Kit.
I had thought that the HWS is the current name for the extension kit, or are they different things? Is there anyway to have my master socket moved during the fibre install?
Thanks.
Simon.
7 REPLIES 7
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Home Wiring Solution

it would probably depend on the engineer and where the line is/is wanted, as I understand it they don't often change the point of entry unless your on a drop wire that needs changing, if its an underground feed chances are they will only provide a new extension and fit  vdsl plate(s) where required, giving you the option to use either end.
and no I don't suggest you "inspect" any exisiting drop wire, cos the install engineer might not have time to replace it and then you would be without phone or internet until someone else comes along to fix the problem
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
keith4x4
Grafter

If you order the data extension kit  that should do you. (make sure they do actually order it they forgot on mine)
I just ran a 10 mtr RJ45 cable from the modem to the router to move it where I wanted it (I can get under my floors very easy)
Dont try a RJ11 extension from the BT plate to the modem that will cause problems.
Or just bribe the eng1  Grin
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: simonhiggs
I had thought that the HWS is the current name for the extension kit, or are they different things?

Pretty sure you're correct there.  It's never actually been a kit, engineers are expected to relocate the VDSL data connection by running a suitable (twisted pair) cable up to 30m max to the preferred location for the VDSL socket, they are not expected to drill through walls etc and will only clip the cable to the top of skirting boards and round door frames (or similar), you can pre-drill holes if your required route would require this.
Some engineers (mainly the sub-contract ones) will tell you they don't have the equipment (or kit) for the HWS/Data Extension but they're probably just trying to avoid spending too long on your install.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
simonhiggs
Grafter

Thanks for the replies - some good points about changing point of entry and pre-drilling holes.
I'll prepare as much as possible - and put the kettle on!
Simon.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Choccie biccies might help too.  Wink
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Hob Nobs worked for me  Wink
moved my entry point around to other side of house , where it suited me
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The other thing: if you are unfortunate and get a non-cooperative engineer, Plusnet will insist that the job is completed as ordered - but it sometimes needs posting on here to get Plusnet to do that.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)