cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Networking

MishathePenguin

Home Networking

Hi there
Just had my fibre broadband installed yesterday and am trying to set up home networking using powerline plugs.  This is not going to plan!
I have my router connected to the Openreach box via a powerline connection (fibre router downstairs next to socket and other router upstairs) and this works ok as I can access the internet if I plug my PC directly into the router. I don't want to do this as it mean running a wire around the room so I'm using Devolo HomePlugs.  The problem I have is connecting the router to the other powerline adaptors.  Having plugged an Ethernet cable into a spare socket on the back and then plugged this into a powerline adaptor I cannot access the internet.  I can access the hard drive connected via the router though.  If I'm unable to connect to the router using powerline adaptors this will seriously affect my usage!!  If anyone has any advice it would be gratefully accepted!!
5 REPLIES 5
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Home Networking

I'm on adsl so don't have the router - modem set up as needed for fibre but I use 4 powerline adaptors successfully. I think its possible that if all your adaptors are of the same make that in your set up you have 2 access points and they are conflicting........ best to explain how I set mine up and you can compare.
Using 4 powerline adaptors I got from BT I set one up as an access point (AP) and the other three as exit points (EP) ...... you'll need to read your adaptor docs on how to do that.
Then I plug the AP into a socket near the router and ethernet cable between the router and adaptor. Then plug any of the other EP's into a wall socket near my other pc's. Connect my pc to the EP via ethernet cable and that's it.
I've got the router and AP in the room below me, an EP here with my main pc and an EP in the lounge with my mediacenter pc, plus a spare EP I can plug in anywhere needed and it all works gr8.
So unless you actually need the extra ethernet ports on the router I'd move the router back to where the modem is and connect the rest of the house using the powerline adaptors.
Hope this helps
Gerwyn
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Having read your connection a few times I'm still not sure that I fully understand how you have them connected. That Powerline between modem and router worries me. If that is the case get the modem and router side by side.
1) The way they should be used is that the router is connected directly to the BT master socket via a RJ11 cable.
2) You then need to plug a Powerline into a nearby mains power socket.
3) Then plug a suitable CAT cable into the Powerline and into one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the router.
From then on it's just a matter of plugging in additional Powerlines within CAT reach of any devices you want on the network.
One other point to consider, especially with some Netgear jobbies (I know yours aren't)  is to ensure you 'security' connect them. If not they can't see each other.
Once up and running there is no need to have any cables running round the house.
Let's be careful out there !
MishathePenguin

Hi
Thanks for your replies. I was using adsl previously and had a working network. Because of a lack of sockets next to the fibre router I was trying to maximise their use.  It looks like I'll have to go back to the original set up and get a powerboard for the routers.
Thanks!
mikehiow
Grafter

I have a feeling that your issue is that you require two separate networks.
The way you usually do this is setup two adapters between your modem and router, and with your PC plugged directly into one, using the supplied setup software set a password for those two.
Now when you come and setup the rest for your home network, use the supplied software to set a different password. This should effectively create one network between your modem and router, and another network between your router and everywhere else.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Apologies if you've already considered this but I've used Devolo powerline adapters in the past and after a while they developed an issue where they wouldn't connect unless I turned off the power using the switch on the socket then really press them into the socket. Wondering if you might have a similar issue?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team