cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home LAN with Thomson router regularly drops

bbgmp
Dabbler

Home LAN with Thomson router regularly drops

I've been having a consistent issue with my Thomson router where on regular occasions my entire home LAN will simply drop out. When this happens, not only is there no internet access on any of my PC's but I'm also not able to even bring up the router's menu with my browser (using 192.168.1.254). To date, the only way to fix this has been to physically reset the router.
I've read that there have been issues with too many PC's plugged into the router so I changed my LAN set-up to include a separate network switch which handles all the connections. This doesn't seem to have helped any though.
The strange thing is that the wireless network connection seems to remain OK, though internet is still not accessible. I've been able to go to 192.168.1.254 with my Android phone and reset the router that way.
I'm wondering whether anyone else has experienced this problem too. It happens at least once a week.
Detailed router info in case this helps is:
Product Name: TG585 v7
Software Release: 7.4.4.7
Software Variant: DM
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.0
Product Code: 36315250
Board Name: CANT-P
9 REPLIES 9
MrT
Grafter

Re: Home LAN with Thomson router regularly drops

The Software Version on my TG585v7 is 8.2.6.5.
Perhaps you should try an upgrade. See how at http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have a similar problem. Switching out the router to a new one and updating the f/ware has not cured it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PhyllisTyne,
I've just checked your account and it looks like Adam has ordered you another router, hope that solves things for you.
@bbgmp if using the Voyager has solved the issue please let us know as it may be that your router needs replacing, we'll be able to arrange that if it's less than a year old.
bbgmp
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
@bbgmp if using the Voyager has solved the issue please let us know as it may be that your router needs replacing, we'll be able to arrange that if it's less than a year old.

Mi Matt,
I've not yet had a chance to try out the Voyager since it would require I slightly dismantle my home LAN (using it as a simple network switch at the moment). I did go ahead and update the firmware though so will have to wait to see if the problem re-occurs as it's not always consistent.
In any event, I've had the router for longer than a year so I'm guessing a replacement isn't possible.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've had the router for longer than a year so I'm guessing a replacement isn't possible.

Unfortunately not, however we'd be happy to provide you one on a 12 month deferred contract (i.e you pay for it if you were to leave within a year) The only thing payable would be £5.99 for the p&p.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Who increased it from £4.99 then  Sad
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Right, its £7.99 now! Only joking you're right Jim it's £4.99. It used to be £5.99 for a long time which is probably which that figure was stuck in my head.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bbgmp
Dabbler

Having used the Voyager for a few weeks now I've yet to experience any problems. Will stick with this one for the time being. Thanks for everyone's help.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear it's going well. Let us know if you need any more help Smiley