cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Hub 5 - Findings

daz1107
Grafter

Home Hub 5 - Findings

I've managed to get hold of a home hub 5 to test on my Plusnet fibre connection, so I thought i'd post my initial thoughts, just in case anyone was considering buying one.
It connected up very easily by using the Plusnet logon name and password, and it's easy to set up the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies with different SSID's so you can see what you are connecting to.
It's been running a couple of hours now and the signal strength is way better than the Plusnet standard router, but according to TBB speed test, my download speeds have fallen quite dramatically.  On the Plusnet one, I was getting about 38Mbps, but with the hub 5, it's down to 28Mbps and on the x6 test, it's below 17Mbps!!!!  Upload speed is slightly quicker though.
I'm going to leave it for 24 hours or so, but if there isn't a drastic improvement, it's going on ebay!!!  Cheesy
2 REPLIES 2
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Home Hub 5 - Findings

It's worth trying a Talk Talk super router (hg635).
I've been running one for a couple of months and really can't fault it.
The wireless ac connection speed of >800Mbps was particularly impressive.
Some details: http://npr.me.uk/hg635.html
daz1107
Grafter

Re: Home Hub 5 - Findings

I thought the super router was locked to talk talk?  Obviously not!
Th hub 5 speed thing is weird.....I've been streaming the NFL network via game pass app at 4mbps while my other half streams a TV prog, while I'm listening to spotify, with a tablet on, and all of them are as stable as ever.
I'm now upstairs with a full signal on my ipad whereas on the Plusnet router I was showing only 2 bars.
Think I'll stick with it a while and see how it goes.