cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hold on to your hats, it's a white knuckle ride at ...0.92 Mb/s

kcrussell
Dabbler

Hold on to your hats, it's a white knuckle ride at ...0.92 Mb/s

My Plusnet Broadband has never been very great, but I can usually get around 4 Mb/s. In the last week or so it has just got progressively worse and I'm now getting 0.92 Mb/s.

Can someone from Plusnet please investigate? I don't want to go through the usual help channels, having tried that before and ending up very frustrated with a system that seems designed to discourage complaints, rather than fix problems.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Hold on to your hats, it's a white knuckle ride at ...0.92 Mb/s

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Hold onto your hat indeed, and it might be a long ride as it took plusnet six months to get mine back up to that speed when it dropped below to 1MB/s. 

Be prepared for what might be a long haul by keeping a full record of all communications received back and forth and if it goes on for to long, demand compensation beyond the price of a couple of pizzas or a decent curry! In the interim insist you do not pay for your broadband and try if you can not to be charged for your phone line either - I managed that for about four months before they got a bit shirty about it.

Plusnet do their best, but they are stuck in some ways between us and British Telecom but that's not our fault and you need to make sure you are dealt with accordingly. Good luck  Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Physician heal thyself?

Went through and over that obstacle course for all the good it did. It left me feeling it was little more than a diversionary exercise and buffer zone that kept me separated from the real issue, which was rubbish BT infrastructure and operation.   

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing slow speeds. Testing your line your router is in sync at 6.4 Mbps. The speed profile on our side has dropped too low to 1 Mbps. Possibly because of the connection dropping off.

image14760140617525

I've raised the profile now, so if you reboot your router you should receive a faster throughput. If it happens again I would recommend you troubleshooting the problem at http://faults.plus.net where you can complete the process to raise a fault to our faults team if you need to.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
kcrussell
Dabbler

Thanks very much for your response. I've just rebooted and retested and got 4.75Mb/s, which is a big improvement.

I have some questions, please:

- Why does Plusnet throttle the connection speed when there are connection drops?

- If you do throttle the speed by changing my profile, why don't you inform me about this, please? I just get an increasingly poor service, and with no knowledge that my profile has been changed, I'm left in the dark, trying to troubleshoot the problem and work out what is going on.

- I saw that the router speed was 6.4Mb/s in the control panel when I was attempting to troubleshoot the problem. Why can't I achieve that in my broadband speed test?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

As per the visual graph of the radius server for your connection, there were many drops. The profile drop would more than likely be caused by this and the profile had not automatically re adjusted to the correct level.

It should match the sync speed your router connects at. It's an automatic process and it wouldn't be feasible to inform you every time automation makes an adjustment. We do rely on our customers to notify us that there's something not right with their service, I'm afraid.

It's likely you were not able to achieve the speed of 6.4 Mbps in your router settings because of the profile restricting your throughput/download speed.

I do apologise for any inconvenience or frustration that this issued may have caused.

[Edit]

@kcrussell Sorry, I mis read your first question. When there are drops, your sync speed usually also drops, and the profile along with it, because it matches the sync speed. I hope this clarifies things.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
kcrussell
Dabbler

Thank you for the information.

The problem with this, is that the change appears to be a one way journey - the profile throttles the speed and stays there. Your graph shows that the majority of the line drops happened earlier in the week, but I've been stuck on a very low speed profile ever since, even though my router sync appears to have been at 6Mb/s.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

One way (down in performance) seems to be written into DSL by the dunderheads who created the standard long ago, if you suffer REIN like me then tones get knocked out never to recover till a line re-synch, primitive and unimaginative but then it was written by state monopolies who are renowned for both having no imagination and no interest in customers!!

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
kcrussell
Dabbler

Tried to watch a film on Netflix last night and could only stream a few seconds at a time in very grainy low definition. Checked my speed again, back down at 1 to 2 Mb/s. Rebooted the router twice and eventually got enough speed to actually stream.

I just find the inconsistency of the service increasingly frustrating, and the fact that the onus appears to be on me to repeatedly troubleshoot and chase resolution, rather than Plusnet being responsible for delivering a reliable service.
Minivanman
Legend

I hear you.

For those six months of past troubles I'd just download overnight.... used to take three of four hours, and often hang up! Grrrr 

Herman Melville
kcrussell
Dabbler

And tonight's update: 1.3 Mb/s

Just going to reboot again...

kcrussell
Dabbler

1.8 Mb/s after rebooting.

kcrussell
Dabbler

Looks like that's as good as it gets, and I assume if I reboot anymore my profile will just get throttled back even more because of disconnects...

My router is showing :

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,336

I assume this means, as noted by Plusnet above, that my connection is theoretically capable of much better than 1.8Mb/s at the moment?

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Have you tried this BT test?  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Run this then use "further diagnostics" button -this will show you the BT profile which the PN profile shadows.