cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmm. We're having trouble finding that site. We can't connect to the server

richjenn13
Dabbler

Hmm. We're having trouble finding that site. We can't connect to the server

I've been having problems with dropouts, not accompanied by Orange warning on Router.

A page appears with a funny animal looking at a map, and the words "Hmm. We're having trouble finding that site. We can't connect to the server"

These dropouts last a couple of minutes, and of course if I'm on a secure server, I have to log in again.

Made doing my Tax Self Assessment VERY tricky!

I often get several a day.

Plusnet tech say there's no sign of droputs at their end.

Im using an Ethernet connection, fed via a TP link extender via 13a sockets to the Router, which runs off the Openreach Master Socket- might this be a culprit I wonder?

Any similar probs sorted out there - be VERY grateful to know!

Thanks!!!

Richard

6 REPLIES 6
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Hmm. We're having trouble finding that site. We can't connect to the server

My first thought would be a problem with  the TP link network  extenders. Are they homeplugs  or sometimes known as powerline adaptors ? Try connecting direct to the router with a long ethernet network cable or move your machine closer  to the router,   and see if this cures the problem. Unplug the extenders so that they are powered off .

It's quite possible the TP Link system  is conencting to a neighbours router if they have the same TP LInk equipment .

richjenn13
Dabbler

Thanks runharefor your input. Sadly last time it happened it showed up on wireless also, but I am aware of the added possiblity of issues going via Tp Links!  

I'll try what you suggest.

Very best wishes

Richard

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi @richjenn13

It's quite possible with range extenders to pick up and piggy back a neighbours  Internet connection either via wifi ( if their wifi is not secure) or via another range extender system if they are using a similar type of homeplug / power line unit. 

Also range extenders can produce spurious RF interference that can affect the performance of a router. 

What make and model of router do you have. How old is it? 

Assuming it is a plus net supplied router 

Can you log into the router at 192.168.1.254 using the router admin password ?

what shows  when you do this? You need to be sure you're logged into your own router and not a neighbours .

The erroneous page you see is a Firefox generated page that indicates a lack of connectivity either due to an error in the URL or a server connection failure. 

richjenn13
Dabbler

Hi

It's a Plusnet Hub One, about 5 months old.

We have only one neighbour within 100 metres, we can't "see" their wireless hub listed, so I'm relatively sanguine about interference from another consumers house [famous last words!]

I do agree that TP link def first suspect.

I've set up my Old laptop sitting wirelessly next to my current one, so next time I get the dreaded "Hmm we're having trouble page" I can see if it'soccurring onn the other old laptop running purely wirelessly, which would def suggest issue with Ethernet extenders.

R

richjenn13
Dabbler

The erroneous page you see is a Firefox generated page that indicates a lack of connectivity either due to an error in the URL or a server connection failure.

That alone is very helpful - thanks!

Checking Hub Manager all looks OK. Def connecting to my Plusnet Router and not showing any mysterious active devices!

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

No fancy warning message using IE11 when my TP-link homeplugs lose the signal -  that doesn't mean it doesn't happen now and again, rather that it's only noticeable when a drop coincides with the instant I'm trying to load a page.

Only lasts a minute or so as with @richjenn13, and doesn't seem to correlate with anything electrical switching on or off in the house.

Can only suggest making sure that neither of your homeplugs are plugged into extension sockets, or if they are, that they're not of the surge protected type.

(I actually reversed the location of my router and PC because it was more important that my Youview box could be hard-wired than my PC - I would consider myself quite unlucky to experience a 'homeplug drop' when I was doing something critical online.)