cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hight speed router cable

samuria
Grafter

Hight speed router cable

We often see faults and line drops but no one has suggested using a high speed cable. What is it and how can it help?
It can be bought from Currys, Comet and most stores or online see
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=4517
We talk of sync speed, noise and attenuation and to plug into the master socket. But there is a problem the speed you get is down to your line speed and the router but the fly in the ointment is the cable connecting the router to the master socket which is often a very cheap and nasty peice of flimsy wire prone to pick up  any noise going.
So you sync speed is the master socket+ cable and this cable can drop it dramatically. So why no one has suggested the above cable as a solution I dont know. but the specs are similar to this and will vary from product to product
    * Up to 10 times faster than a regular phone cable to get the most out of your modem.
    * 24K gold plated RJ11 contacts provide maximum conductivity to keep data from getting lost.
    * Category 5 structured cable transmits data up to 100 Mbites/sec.
    * Signal Exact Twist® technology keeps data loss to a minimum.
    * Supports analog or digital (DSL./ISDN) applications.
    * This cable will be free of defects in design, assembly, material and workmanship for a lifetime. Guaranteed!
    * Double shielding (foil and braid) reduces EMI/RFI interference, allowing error-free data transfer at high seeds.
    * Snagless molded strain relief provides added strength with flexibility even under extreme conditions.
    * Compatible with all modem speeds.
I just upgraded to this cable and its better than an Iplate speed went up noise and att reduced so I can personally recommend getting one for any setup and if you are having problems try one it may just solve your problems and its not a fortune.
When i was in IT a few years ago when cat3 was common we would have network printer spitting out rubbish and it was all down to the cat3 cable moving 6 inch close to a power cable for a computer so it does show how dramatic the problem can be. The shielding on these cable is fantastic and you can see just looking at it how good it is compared with the normal cable
13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hight speed router cable

Found Amazon to be a bit cheaper overall as there is free delivery http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Hi-Speed-Internet-Modem-RJ11M-M/dp/B000FO6I4I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=el...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mal0z
Grafter

Thanks Samuria,
Just playing devils advocate and not criticizing.  Smiley
Yes good quality cable is a good idea, but that is only between the router and the ADSL Filter at the wall socket - be it the master socket or an extension socket.
What about the extension cable - that may or may not have been installed by the Post office, BT, builder or the property owner ?.
And then the BT cable from the property to the local junction box and on the the exchange - that isn't Cat 5 .
Santiago
Grafter

I believe it is CW1308 twisted pair.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

It's worth noting that there are much shorter cables of the same type at the bottom of Samuria's link
samuria
Grafter

naturally all cables should be of top quality with a Iplate or the bell wire removed to obtain best results but the modem cable is overlooked and having good quality cables everywhere else doesnt help if its a taty old modem cable pickup up noise
mjtuohy
Grafter

I replaced a B&Q fit yourself extension cable with a factory made one. And my D/L speed went from under 2 mb to over 4 as of today. Cost me £10. The best £10 I have spent latley. I had been using the B&Q one for about 6 years. Don't I feel a fool.

mal0z
Grafter

Sadly, I've seen poor quality products in many high street stores for both telephone/ modem/ router cables,
television and radio antenna's , feeder cables etc etc.
It just seems so difficult to get the good quality goods recommended -
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Absolutely, Mal. There's some awful tat out there! Online is the only answer, and even then you have to be discerning.
As to RJ11 router to socket cables - you're right, Samuria, it's often the forgotten link. Belkin's hype seems a little OTT - OK it may well be capable of 100Mbps, but nothing else in the chain is.  Roll_eyes
The point is it's Cat5e, screened, and will reject local interference far more than the usual cheapie supplied item. I've found the ADSLNation ones to be excellent - good range of lengths at reasonable prices.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: 4Candles
ADSLNation

Difficult to go wrong there.  Wink
mal0z
Grafter

Problem is - that there is no point in having gold plated contacts, and screening - only on the cable between the router and the wall socket, when the contacts down the line certainly are not gold plated or necessarily screened.
Shades of very highly priced gold plated hiFi components , speaker leads etc etc
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I see where you're coming from , Mal, but I think the screening is justified. There are all kinds of sources of possible RFI in the home environment which won't be there 'down the line'. Well, sometimes there will be, but that's another topic!
Gold plated contacts - pretty standard on telecom leads - doesn't tarnish.
I take your point though - beware of snake oil.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I've just received my new one, the 2.1 metre from amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Hi-Speed-Internet-Modem-RJ11M-M/dp/B000FO6I3Y/ref=pd_cp_ce_2?pf_rd_p=...
Before:
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 6256 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.0 db 26.5 db
Noise Margin 5.9 db 8.0 db

After:
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 6496 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.0 db 26.5 db
Noise Margin 6.3 db 10.0 db
So a slight improvement and probably gives me a better chance of holding to my 5500 profile if the connection drops in the evening, as I paid 2.80 for it I'm happy..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: 4Candles

I take your point though - beware of snake oil.

AS I said earlier, I'm most certainly not disputing Samuria's idea, - just a word of caution.
After all on another thread I was advocating using the right tools for the job - namely modern, low loss feeder and a quality high gain antenna to receive TV  :),