cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highspeed broadband

Ammy
Grafter

Highspeed broadband

Amazing isn't it,  but half my village are getting connected to high speed broadband but a call to Pluscom informs me that high speed is not even planned for the village.
" You do us proud"
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Highspeed broadband

Ammy,
PlusNET can only use what BTOR / BTw provide / deliver - it is the same for all ISPs.  If BTOR have not yet connected fibre to your cabinet, you cannot get fibre from anyone.
Have a look at one of the availability checkers here.  BTOR can take a couple of weeks to update the availability databases.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Ammy Keep an eye on this http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ using your phone number.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Ammy
Grafter

I,  obviously,  wrongly assumed that,  as  the people around me had it it would be available to me also. The cabinet is at the end of the avenue 50 metres away.
x47c
Grafter

As well as the exchange being upgraded to FTTC/fibre the local distribution cabinet also has to be upgraded by having a fibre twin placed alongside and all connected up etc etc
Not all cabinets on an exchange are upgraded - this is common around the UK - mine is not being done for example.
Some smaller ones only serving a few people may well be omitted.
Some with severe logistical problems getting the fibre out to them from the exchange may be omitted.
I'm sure there are other reasons - absence of any local power supply is another.
Sadly its all just economics.....how many people off the cabinet, how many likely to switch to the FTTC/fibre package vs how much does it cost all in to do the conversion/upgrade and would not the money be better spent upgrading another cabinet elsewhere instead.
Ii is also not necessarily the case that you are always connected to the nearest cabinet
Each one should have a number on them
The DSL checker should give you your cabinet number at the top of the listing.