cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High usage when I'm not using it much

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High usage when I'm not using it much

I'm not a great fan of Anytime+, just catchup every now and then, and then delete most of it unwatched after previewing content !
The nice thing about it is I can select many programmes to download, then just leave it to it.
I am fortunate with my download speed.
SiMania
Grafter

It's happened again tonight, I'm on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 so my peak time is 4pm-midnight, and I've used 6.5GB in one night and it's not even midnight.
No streaming, no P2P, just surfing for most of the night.  I was on my works VPN 4-7 so probably racked up 2-3GB in that time period connecting to servers etc but I can't understand the other 3GB usage.
Does anyone else rack up this much in such a short period? As I'm on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1, the fair usage thingymajig has kicked it at 13GB and I'm getting traffic shaped at peak times.
I've had no P2P apps running for days so I doubt anyone is still trying to connect to me, my usage between 4am-8am was in single MB figures so it's not some rogue device downloading constantly.
Help!
SiMania
Grafter

Has anyone with an Apple TV 2 seen data usage spikes when accessing local content? I've read about it on other forums,
pierre_pierre
Grafter

17 Mar 2011 – That is about 6-7x the data usage of AT&Ts average Internet user. ... such as Netflix or higher-level providers such Google TV or Apple TV. ... As for the 150 GB cap, it will be interesting to see who will exceed the limit, but I ... of the month to use up all the extra and you have a huge spike in bandwidth usage.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have you had a look at your Plusnet Firewall settings (login needed) to see if you can make use of them to block any unwanted traffic?
msssltd
Grafter

Quote from: SiMania
No streaming, no P2P, just surfing for most of the night.

What about about automatic software updates, virus signature updates Etc.  Have you ruled those out?
Does anyone else rack up this much in such a short period?

LOL.  Yes, every time I build a Windows PC or server.
SiMania
Grafter

I have traffic monitoring on most devices and nothing was showing up on them at first glance. I'm away for a few days so will see what happens when I return.
I'll have a look at the firewall settings too, never knew about that :-).
Ado16
Grafter

Hello.
This is intriguing me too.  Just moved over from the Post Office where our monthly limit was 4GB a month - Been here just a little over 5 days and already heading for 2GB! How can this be possible? We never had any warning from the PO about "going over". Or were charged extra.  Of course there might be a confusion here over the term "usage".  Could it be possible that the Post Office "Limit" was a 4GB download limit - as opposed to a usage limit? Whereas the "limit" with Plusnet is for the whole lot? I suppose it must be!  Undecided
Anotherone
Champion

Plusnet usage limits include Upload, so if you upload a lot it will add to your usage. Don't forget usage midnight to 0800 doesn't count towards your usage limit.
Ado16
Grafter

Worked it out really.  "Usage" is an interesting word. Plain and simple, should have hit us in the face straight away really.  With the Post Office one could happily work on the 'net all day without punishment, you just couldn't download much.  Being limited (on the basic package) to how much "ordinary" surfing you can do in a day is - it seems - rather limiting. Just going to check if there's a cooling off period in the contract.
Anotherone
Champion

If you are just surfing and your surfing is no different to previously, I fail to see how you can use 2Gb in 5 days. The amount you upload when surfing is negligible compared to download. If you visit web pages with lots of graphics then your download will be a bit more, but if you never went over a 4Gb limit previously, then you must be doing something different now!
Ado16
Grafter

I'll talk it over with someone tomorrow.  I'm just not used to a "Usage Limit".  The Post Office's "4GB" was for Downloads - there did not seem to be any "Usage" limit.  Ditto with Virgin, four years before that. In the broadband world anyway.  Just thick of us not to realise what it meant earlier.
Anotherone
Champion

I think we may be talking at cross-purposes. For a start it's called an allowance, unless you choose to Limit it by the relevant settings in the member centre, if you go over the allowance you get billed at the quoted rate for the extra. The Post Office 5Gb currently is also a usage allowance to which a Fair Usage Policy applies, the only difference is that Plusnet's 10Gb or whatever depending on your package, includes uploads, so unless you upload loads of data to your website for example, or P2P a lot then I don't see how you can expect things to be much different, unless your usage pattern is different.
Also the Post Office package didn't include free overnight usage and is a lot more expensive for the basic package even than the Plusnet Extra package with 60Gb usage.
Ado16
Grafter

Problems solved on the Connection Settings page by restricting the Ports on the Surf button. A bit annoyed that the information wasn't "Writ Large" on Plusnet's welcome page. Massive usage problem disappeared to just a few meagre MB's a day.  A bit peeved about that.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes there is the Safe Surf setting as well as the Firewall to help block ports and traffic you don't want/use (as well as stop the kids using them!).
But always best to make sure your machine(s) isn't(aren't) doing things you don't want them to anyway.