Grafter

Re: High number of DNS queries

Well Gentlemen,
Apparently the situation is not improved,

Stephen Dean - IE - Generic
6:23am, Saturday 7 Mar 2015
[internal] the situation is the same
-------------------------
2015-03-07 04:44:12.076900 IP 212.159.6.10.53 > 83.216.131.51.2048: 36560 ServFail 0/0/0 (40)
E..Dkx..@.]|...
S..3.5...0...............client5.gotocamera.com.....

I got rid of the only IP Camera software on my PC and access the cams directly via my browser as suggested. I am confused, any suggestions?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Assuming you're running windows, try this:
Click the windows globe bottom left>
In the run box type:  cmd [enter]
In the black window which pops up type:
ipconfig /displaydns [enter]
Scroll through the results for "gotocamera.com"
If you can't find "gotocamera.com" then the problem is likely to be with another PC or device.
Do you have any IPcamera apps on a phone etc ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Looking at a user manual PDF for some wanscam models, it had gotocamera integration within the camera firmware.
So it might be worth checking the settings within the cameras themselves, or possibly seeing if there is updated firmware available.
tarren
Grafter

npr, Did as you suggested but no indication of "gotocamera" I do have an IP camera app on my pad, it's called IP Cam Viewer and it's downloaded from Google Play and was developed by a Robert Chou.
ejs, I have the latest firmware for my Wanscam Cams, but if there is integration within the cams it looks like I'll have to get shot of both and substitute with another. I've switched both off and will see if that kills the problem.
Thank you both for your replies, appreciated.
npr
Pro

Quote from: tarren
it looks like I'll have to get shot of both and substitute with another. I've switched both off and will see if that kills the problem.

There's no need to go that far, if the problem is from the camera there's a number of ways you can deal with it.
From what you said before you don't need the camera to have dns access so a few options are:
1) in the cameras settings place it on a static LAN IP address and specify the DNS address as 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0
2) in the routers firewall settings block the camera (on a static IP) from sending to port 53 on the WAN.
3)change the dns settings in the router to google dns -- they will be more resilient and less fussy. Wink
tarren
Grafter

Quote from: npr
it looks like I'll have to get shot of both and substitute with another. I've switched both off and will see if that kills the problem.

There's no need to go that far, if the problem is from the camera there's a number of ways you can deal with it.
From what you said before you don't need the camera to have dns access so a few options are:
1) in the cameras settings place it on a static LAN IP address and specify the DNS address as 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0
2) in the routers firewall settings block the camera (on a static IP) from sending to port 53 on the WAN.
3)change the dns settings in the router to google dns -- they will be more resilient and less fussy. Wink

Thank you npr, so there's hope yet that I might not shut down the Plusnet servers. As I said in an earlier post, I got shot of the static IP addie, so does that mean I'll have to request another?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The static IP from Plusnet is your WAN IP address.
npr is saying give your camera a static LAN IP address so that you can set rules relating to it on the router (you may already have it set as that - setting something like always use the same IP).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
npr
Pro

Looking at the instructions for your camera, can be downloaded here:
http://www.wanscam.com/xiazai/download/HW_WANSCAM-Quick-Setup-Guide-of-Wanscam-IPCamera.pdf
Step 3 shows where you can change the cameras dns settings:
If you don't need web access for the camera change the dns setting to 127.0.0.1
Alternatively if you do need web access change the dns setting to 8.8.8.8 (google dns)
You may need to specify "Network" as "Fixed IP" before it will allow you to change the dns setting, if so then I suggest the following for use with the plusnet router.
Network: Fixed IP
IP: 192.168.1.10  ( for the second camera: 192.168.1.11)
Sub Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Primary DNS: 127.0.0.1
Note:
To access the camera from a web browser use:
192.168.1.10 for the 1st camera
192.168.1.11 for the second.
tarren
Grafter

Thank you for that info npr , I'm not too tech minded but  I'll give it a go, my router is a Billion BIPAC 7300N if that makes a difference.
Unfortunately the settings box will not allow me to change the existing settings, I'm unable to locate any setting where it will allow me to specify "Network" as "Fixed IP, sorry if I'm being a bit dumb.
npr
Pro

my router is a Billion BIPAC 7300N if that makes a difference.

Yes, you may need to use a different IP and gateway address to those I posted.
tarren
Grafter

Thank you npr, I'll keep plugging away.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It seems very strange you are only just getting these messages, the service stopped in Feb 2013. I wonder what has happened recently to cause this?
tarren
Grafter

That is extremely interesting, I cannot imagine what is different now in my setup to have caused this problem, thank you Marksfish, I'll put it to Plusnet and will let you have their response. In the meantime I've disabled my cams, and will ask if the problem has ceased.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

The difference might be that the service was shutdown in February 2013, but the DNS records still existed, so whilst your cameras couldn't connect to the server, it could still get the IP Address.  Maybe more recently the DNS records have been removed, so the camera can no longer get an IP Address, so keep on trying to look it up, which is what has led to these alerts from Plusnet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tarren
Grafter

Thank you pjmarsh, appreciate your reply. I'll have to have an attempt at the suggestions made by previous posters, so I may be back for more advise, thank you all again.