Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High number of DNS queries

tarren
Grafter

High number of DNS queries

Hi,
I have received the following, and am not sure how to proceed. I have got rid of my static IP address in the hope that will alleviate  the problem. I haven't been in touch yet with Plusnet

"During monitoring of our platform it has come to our attention that you have a high amount of DNS queries coming from the IP address assigned to your broadband account with us.
The monitoring outputs captured for the IP address assigned to this broadband line indicate the presence of IP cameras with incorrect configuration. A device on your internal network is sending DNS queries to Plusnet DNS servers requesting similar addresses to the following:
client9.gotocamera.com
client5.gotocamera.com
The above addresses do not exist and will return a timeout responses. The frequent request for these failing domain lookups puts unnecessary load on Plusnet DNS servers.
If you have IP cameras or a digital video recorder (DVR) connected to your home network, we request these are configured correctly to prevent further DNS recursion on a non existent domain name.
Please take action to avoid any further contact in relation to this matter"

Has anyone any ideas what I might do if the above fails? I need my cams for security purposes, and I've had them on the go for about 2 years..
79 REPLIES 79
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: High number of DNS queries

Getting rid of your static IP address will make no difference to what services your devices seek to connect to; indeed it might now be difficult for you to remotely connect to your cameras across the Internet.
Something within your home network is attempting to connect to the non-existent domain names.  You need to look at the configuration of the cameras or any in-house system which monitors the cameras for references to those addresses / URLs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sorry it's a Facebook link but this may be relevant: https://www.facebook.com/GotoCamera
The service has now been completely turned off.

CRITICAL NOTICE: The following email was sent to all customers on Sunday last week. Some of you may not have received it (check your spam folders / you may have unsubscribed from email notices):
Dear customer,
Regrettably, GotoCamera has run out of cash; despite our best efforts, we have been unable to raise additional money.
We are looking for a buyer that may want to pick up the GotoCamera service and may want to continue offering it to you. However, there is no guarantee that this will happen, in what time frame it may happen, whether it will be under the GotoCamera name, what the pricing may be, etc.

Do you have any 'Gotocamera' client software on PC or mobile device?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tarren
Grafter

Hello Gentlemen,
The only service I can see on one of my cams is the DDNS Service which indicates "ihome365.org" and on the other DDNS service "vipcam.org". Do these have anything to do with it? if not, what should I be looking for? The DNS server is my router which is 192.168.1.254.
Thank you both for your replies, appreciated.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are you running any software associated with the cameras on any PCs (or other devices) on your network?  It's probably the software, not the cameras...
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

If using windows, try pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc  In the window which pops up, click on the "Process" tab and see if there's a process running called "GotoCam.exe", if there is then that's the culprit and you should be able to remove it from "Add/Removce programs" in control panel.
Whatever you do, don't download a program which claims to be able to remove it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Alternatively
Ctrl Alt Del
Start Task Manager
Processes
Also click the box - show Processes from all users
Edited because I was talking rubbish  Embarrassed
w23
Pro

Did you try it @Oldjim?  Wink

Don't forget to click 'Show processes from all users' as it may only show the current user's processes by default (and some programs run processes as administrator).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

bugger - no I didn't
w23
Pro

Attached is the result of ctrl/shift/esc on my Windows 7 Pro, very similar effect on XP as well.
Call me 'w23'
tarren
Grafter

Hello Gentlemen,
I've got an IPCamera in my process list, I'll uninstall, but  what if anything could you suggest I might use instead. that's not going to cause a repeat of the problem. Thank you all.
pwatson
Rising Star

It's impossible to advise you on 'something to use instead' as you haven't told us anything about your setup or what you're trying to achieve  Wink

• What camera(s) are you using?

• Are you looking for software to act as a security system and record video when triggered?

• Do you need access from remote clients (phone, from work etc)

The more info you can give, the better the replies will be.
HTH
tarren
Grafter

Hello pwatson,
My cams are "Wanscam - PTZ Wireless WaterProof Outdoor IP Camera With 3X Optical Zoom And IR-Cut" and I require them simply as a security cam to view live from my PC,  but now I'm retired it's not a requirement  to view remotely, although as per my OP I did have a static IP address to allow me to do just that, thank you for your reply.
pwatson
Rising Star

Assuming the camera has a built in web server, you shouldn't need any software at all just to view the feed.
Try entering the IP address of the camera into your browser and seeing what facilities it offers.
tarren
Grafter

That's done the trick, did as you suggest pwatson , didn't realize I could run straight from my browser, doh! thank you very much, I appreciate all your replies.