cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency since end of August

cvine1

High latency since end of August

I have been with plusnet for a number of years and always had a decent service until late August this year.  Since late August I have suffered large latencies.  It can take between 2 to 10 seconds to connect to a website or a mail provider when previously it was practically instantaneous.  There is nothing wrong with my laptop - when I connect to alternative providers in other people's homes it works fine, so it is definitely something to do with the plusnet internet //ADSL service.  The telephone line which carries the ADSL tests OK and there are no problems with telephone use.  I have done the usual things like switch the router on and off, and I have tried using Google's public name server instead of plusnet's, to no avail.

Rather than spend many hours on the support line (at my expense) I propose to change providers, but before I do so I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
cvine1

Re: High latency since end of August

Perhaps I should say I get the same latency using ethernet as well as wireless to connect to the router, and that once actually connected to a site the speed is fine.  I have no trouble with streaming, once I actually get through.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The support line is an 0800 number so the only cost will be your time.
cvine1

Could my upstream speeds be part of the problem?  I have:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 2.9  26.4 
Attenuation (dB): 17.5  5.3 
Output Power (dBm): 12.1  0.0 
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 22936  1060 
Rate (Kbps): 20072  443