cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency between 9pm and 10pm

alexftw
Grafter

High latency between 9pm and 10pm

This is a long shot. Is there anything outside of my control which could cause a huge 250ms+ ping between 9pm and 10pm for the last week?
I noticed during xbox gaming that I had an awful connection, and after visiting pingtest.net found I had a 264ms ping. I turned off all wireless devices in the house to make sure a phone or tablet was not hogging bandwidth. This didn't help. I turned off the PC, used a tablet to remote into my ADSL modems web interface in order to ping test directly from the modem whilst ruling the PC out (which was off when I first started having issues with xbox connectivity). That also had the same huge latency. Both the xbox and my PC are wired into the network, the only wireless being phones and tablets. I have encrypted wireless and none of my neighbours have the passkey. Something, between 9pm and 10pm saturates my connection (or it would seem to).
However, it starts to drop off around 9:45pm, a 'ping www.randomwebsite.co.uk -t' will show the ping slowly dropping over about a 10 minute period back down to ~25ms.
Can anyone advise? I don't see how it could be the modem as the problem has been at consistent times with consistent behaviour throughout the last week. Shutting everything down and powering back up doesn't help either.
Thanks
Alex
1 REPLY 1
alexftw
Grafter

Re: High latency between 9pm and 10pm

OK having searched the interwebz, there are others reporting similar high ping times with plusnet packages. I will generate a ping graph next time I see this. Sorry, I missed the 'high ping' sticky
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106312.0.html,