cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency and constant disconnects when gaming.

Dialup
Dabbler

High latency and constant disconnects when gaming.

I had a problem with my line which took a year to fix. Constant line drops which would lead to the wonderful line management kicking in. This was fixed at the end of December. I then had 2 months of a great connection, top speeds and nice low latency when gaming.
Over the last 2 weeks my line has started to drop again, every few days at first to everyday over the last few days. Included is high latency. Pinging UK servers now shows a 3 times increase in latency and tonight for the first time i have have spent the last few hours gettingconstant disconnects from game servers. I can instantly reconnect but it will last no longer than a minute.
I'm not looking forward to another spell of a completely unreliable internet connection Sad
7 REPLIES 7
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: High latency and constant disconnects when gaming.

Sad
Get that Fault ticket in and the guys will help you sort it.
http://faults.plus.net
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Dialup
Dabbler

Just had a reply to my ticket which i just copied and pasted my last post to them.
It seems that plusnet's solution for now is to just make the problem worse.
We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving on on your phone line to try and fix your current broadband problem.
Interleaving is a form of error correction that helps to improve the stability of high-speed broadband. One drawback of interleaving is that it can increase ping times, which may cause problems for online gamers.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the line is dropping then the first step is to put interleaving in, let us fix the dropping connection and then we can look at resolving any latency issues you've got.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dialup
Dabbler

I had a reply from support yesterday telling me the problem is solved, as there have been no line drops so it must be a wireless problem. They also sent me a link on how to set up a wireless network. Thanks for that.
So my line still is dropping (6 times yesterday that i know of) and i still have high latency/pings while gaming. I am also on a wired connection not wireless.
So no, my problem has not been 'solved' atall.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're seeing the occassional drop on your line but we aren't seeing the same level of drops that you are. As you're using a wired rather than wireless can you try a different ethernet cable if you have one? Are you using the router we provided or a different one?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dialup
Dabbler

That shows 4 disconnects since 3pm yesterday. I thought 6 so my mistake. Then again the BT management has kicked in as a max line speed of 4.5mb is reported compaired to 7 over the course of Jan/Feb. So something isn't right there.
I will try another cable. The router itself is one of your own. I was sent it to replace 2 of my belkins after all the trouble i had last year. All 3 routers are less than 1 year old.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Thanks for that - let us know if it makes any difference, if not we'll get the fault investigated further for you.