cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Latency

Muppet

High Latency

Hi,
I've an FTTC connection, and the bandwidth is great - 37MB down and around 10MB up.
However, I'm having some real problems with high latency on xbox live Sad - multplayer gaming consistently feels like I'm 2 steps behind everyone else.
I've an Xbox One here, and in the network settings there is an advanced report setting which consistently shows a latency of 150 plus (152, 154, 156 etc).
This report from within Xbox One also shows 1% upload packet loss.
if I run pings from my PC's to 8.8.8.8 then I get reasonable results - 13/14ms
The Xbox One is connected via a wired connection, adjacent to the Draytek 2830 which is connected directly to the FTTC modem.
Is there anything that can be checked on my service, or anything I can do to improve this please ?
3 REPLIES 3
dragon2611
Grafter

Re: High Latency

I wonder what the xbox is pinging to measure that latency, because if it turns out that Microsoft have once again forgotten the world exists outside the USA then that would explain the high latency. (I.e if it's pinging a server in the states somewhere)
chriss5471

What ping do you get using a laptop or PC or another games console, this will give you an idea if it is an XBOX One issue as above servers being USA/new etc.
Muppet

Quote from: chriss5471
What ping do you get using a laptop or PC or another games console, this will give you an idea if it is an XBOX One issue as above servers being USA/new etc.

I can ping google etc with sensible results - 13/14ms - I have no way of knowing what method the Xbox One is using to determine latency though 😕
I have asked various users I know who have Xbox Ones to run the same checks and let me know their results, this will help to determine if mine are abnormal - but I know that the COD Ghosts is definately lagging badly for me 😕