Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Latency & Download Speed Dropping Intermittently

RoryD
Dabbler

High Latency & Download Speed Dropping Intermittently

Hello all,

I have just switched over to Plusnet and have found I am now getting intermittent problems with the connection. The latency spikes for about 2-5 minutes at a time around every 30/45 minutes. This is something that has only started since switching and is very noticeable when working from home, any video calls or virtual meetings seem to suffer at some point.

The latency seems to go from 80-100 normal up to 1800. Download speeds also drop from around 18mbs to roughly 2. I have attached screenshots of what I am experiencing. 

Anyone know how to fix this? I assume its an issue on Plusnet's side either hardware in terms of the router or a faulty line as this was not an issue with TalkTalk.

Thanks for the help,

Rory

7 REPLIES 7
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Re: High Latency & Download Speed Dropping Intermittently

@RoryD Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
RoryD
Dabbler

Hello tinytaco,

Thanks for replying to my post. I have gone ahead and submitted and issue, hopefully the problem is resolved soon. I will update this post accordingly, hopefully it may be of help to anyone else with a similar problem.

Kind regards,

Rory

RoryD
Dabbler

Hello all,

Well after contacting the support team and providing them with screenshots of the drop outs it seems an engineer may need to visit. I am slightly annoyed the 2 week "cooling off" period starts from the day I sign up and not the day the system goes live, it seems to me like a way to dodge cancellations for providing poor service?

I have even tried buying a third party router to trial, it looks like that didn't work either.

After speaking with their team this is where I am for far. Also I do find the £65 charge very bizarre especially when they have said they can see drop outs on their end too... 

"I have checked your internets stability and I can see 10 disconnections on the 25th August, this may have been yourself turning off the router but if these drop outs are genuine then that could point to a underlying problem with your service. I have therefore adjusted a setting on your line known as signal to noise ratio, yours was quite low at 3db so I have increased this to 6db to see if this has any bearing on the connection at your end.

If you are still having problems with the speed after I have made this adjustment (please wait 4 hours from this message being received) then we will pass your problem onto our faults department who may then raise it to our suppliers.

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of Openreach equipment within your property and its boundary, or if no fault is found, you will be charged £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice."

Maybe speaking too soon, and if that is the case I will update this accordingly, but wow, what a mistake is was joining Plusnet. Very hard to work from home digitally with such unreliable internet.

Kind regards,

Rory

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

The cooling off period is not as you say a " a way to dodge cancellations for providing poor service".

It is a requirement of the Consumer Credit Act  for the Distance Selling Regulations because you are entering into an agreement that is legally binding on both parties. It is not designed as a "try before you buy" option.

Should you regret entering into the contract then you have 14 days in which to cancel and the period begins the day after you enter into the agreement.

The £65 charge is only applicable if the fault is originating within you property, Ie after the test socket. It is only a portion of what Openreach will charge Plusnet.

RoryD
Dabbler

Hello Agedgopher,  ( @agedgopher  )

Thanks for the reply.

Whilst I can understand where you are coming from, I disagree. By the sounds of things you may already know the wording of the consumer right is as follows "You must tell the customer they can cancel their order up to 14 days after their order is delivered. They don’t need to give a reason for cancelling." In my opinion my service was not delivered until my phone and internet became active. In your opinion would you say my order was delivered? 

My reason for cancelling, or as you would call it "try before you buy" is irrelevant in terms of this regulation, I can cancel for any reason whatsoever or for no reason at all. I do however find it an odd remark to make, considering we all have to pay before we receive the service. The very same act you speak of also states "If you consider your provider to be in breach of the contract - e.g. if you're not being delivered consistent service - you have the right to cancel it." I am simply annoyed that when I enquire about doing so, as I am out of the 14 "cooling off period", I am told it will incur a charge of £80+.

The £65 is more than understandable in those circumstances but you have missed out the part in which "or if no fault is found" is mentioned, I realise this is a business and they are trying to minimise the cost of Engineers being called out and the £65 is probably a deterrent, but in the same line they themselves mention my service cutting out 10 times in one day. To me it is very clear an issue exists, or has at some point existed regardless of when an Engineer is to visit, so I disagree with any potential for a charge in circumstances like these, again, as long as my hardware is in working order. 

Kind regards,

Rory

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Auto Spam Filter.

RoryD
Dabbler

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. It seems my last reply for some reason was deleted or did not post...

In short I disagree, the regulation states "You must tell the customer they can cancel their order up to 14 days after their order is delivered. They don’t need to give a reason for cancelling." My order was not delivered until my phone/internet had gone live, would you agree?

The try before you buy is irrelevant in terms of the Act, I can cancel for any reason at all. Also I have paid for the service already and am dissatisfied it is not as it was described, not trying to somehow get a weeks free internet and then cancel.

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Hello @RoryD 

I wondered where the post had gone. I had a notification that you had replied but it never appeared in the topic so I was not able to respond.

I appreciate your comments, however I believe that the 14 days is purely applicable to the provision of the credit agreement side of the contract. As I said before, an opportunity to get out  following a change of mind.

As far as poor quality of service that is a separate cover, as I understand it. Should the service not meet the claims of the provider then they have a limited period of time to rectify the issues or they must then allow the customer to leave (exit the contract) without penalty. 

That is my understanding of the situation as a fellow customer. So often customers come onto here insisting that their 14 day cancellation period begins from the day that the service is connected, which Plusnet have repeatedly stated is incorrect.

Good luck with your quest to rectify your disappointing service.

Evan